Murray Bridge bird sale

News and announcements from bird clubs.
E Orix

Having attended many sales over the years sadly Murray Bridge falls way short.
The work the committee does in setting up and assisting is fine, no problem there at all.
The problem is lack of control, the sale started at 12 noon, but by then the sale was virtually over
with the pick and a large number of birds already sold. Selling between sellers happens at all sales,
that is the only chance they have as once the sale starts they can't leave their birds.
What the problem was there were dealers yes dealers inside buying up without restriction (before 12).
I saw one seller going back to his car with 3 empty boxes.
When at 12 noon and the doors were opened there were gaps in every line, if you wanted Painteds
or Gouldians you were still in luck.
Will I travel the 8hrs to get there again afraid not.
mr skeeter

i agree david there were two dealers who brought nearly all the finches what chance does the public have, they have to be stopped from getting in before the sale starts. this has happened at other sales also in N S W. lets hope that in V I C it is stopped; cheers mick
Tiaris

Noon is a very late start time for a bird sale. I think having it that late is encouraging extra pre-sale transactions. Based on what
i saw at Gunnedah a couple of weeks ago, sellers are the main buyers, especially when sellers outnumber other buyers by about 3 to 1.
E Orix

In my opinion the time of the sale is irrelevant when it comes to letting dealers in early to buy.
I was told today one of those dealers was seen selling birds at Geelong.
As for a 12 noon start, I thought it was great, it gave (gives) the sellers time to pack their birds
and travel in a relaxed manner
If you live any distance from the sale the 10 o'clock starts are a pain, as the days get shorter birds can't
be fed until 7.30am then it is just a full on rush to get to the sale by 9 or 9.30.
If you don't want to rush you either don't sell or suffer the extra cost for a nights accom.
Country sales need as many sellers and buyers they can so give people a reasonable time to travel
and set up.
Craig52

There is a lot of dealers that go to bird sales David, here in Vic and NSW. There idea is to take birds to sell and be a seller and get the privilege to see what other sellers have for sale and buy in cash group lots of birds.
It's very hard for Stewards to control and not many will police it because imo the Stewards are pre selling and buying birds themselves before the sale starts. Craig
E Orix

Come on Craig, blind Freddy can pick the dealers.
As I mentioned earlier, sellers do trade before the sale as that is generally the only chance
they get. I have bought and sold prior but I do try and limit my buying and selling.
At some sales the sellers are generally the main buyers.
I know of one sale that is so well policed the dealers are fronting people in the car park
mr skeeter

You have a point graham as sellers we can't have the cake and eat it, we go to sell our birds but not before the sale starts unless they are ordered prior; David has got good reason to be upset as most birds were sold before the sale started most likely while setting up to the dealers we all know who they are its up to the clubs to stop this practice happening if caught they should be asked to leave, this is my opinion. i went to the geelong sale and was told not to cover my birds after they were placed on the tables, cheers mick
Tiaris

I just had never heard of a sale starting that late. At the Gunnedah sale I was on the road home by 11am & wouldn't have gone at all if it was on late in the day as a return trip same day would have been much more of an ordeal for me.
Its a hard call on the pre-selling as at the end of the day the sellers are happy to clear out as early as possible & not have to stand around all day.
I have never heard of a seller knocking back a pre-sale & it takes 2 to tango for a transaction to take place.
garyh

I went to the Geelong sale as a seller,was approached by two people wishing to purchase birds before the sale no money changed hands but i did put a sold sign on the birds,but we are only talking a couple of pair not a total sell out of all my stock,i know of a fare few people that wont be going back to the Murray bridge sale as it was not worth the travel for there to be hardly any finches left to purchase ,garyh
Redbus

sellers on Gumtree
Last edited by Redbus on 26 Mar 2021, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Avicultural Clubs & Associations”