Red Crested Finch

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So Basically if you have mastered Blue Caps continuously you should be ok with these West Finch? As I was a bit young when Dad had them,didn't find out the finer points
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very nice little bird indeed .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
west finch

Well may be VP6 they do tend to show a preference for larger insects than Blue caps .They don’t sit around preening like the cordons there a lot more feisty .
Work smarter not harder !
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

west finch wrote:Well may be VP6 they do tend to show a preference for larger insects than Blue caps .They don’t sit around preening like the cordons there a lot more feisty .
Sounds like a fun bird to breed then...will have to master Bluecaps and see how I progress then.....
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
djb78

Very nice birds westfinch. Definitely with the price and requirements its not for beginners as throwing of chicks is well heard of when livefood starts to become hard to get. Will they take wood roaches.
Danny
west finch

From what I’ve seen of them foraging for live food I think wood roaches would be right up there alley .
Work smarter not harder !
E Orix

I think Wood roaches would be too big unless you fed the immature ones before they grew their wings.
There was a pair of Red Crested building yesterday so I pulled the start of the nest out and moved the dry brush.
In my opinion it is too late because the chicks would be trying to fledge in say 5 weeks and by then we would be
well into Winter and the survival of the chicks wouldn't be good. Any way i would prefer the parents be fit and rested and ready
to breed when the better weather is near.Mine are through their moult and they look a picture.
Too many breeding hens are lost in the cooler weather for little return. The risk is just not worth it.
djb78

Now that's experience talking Eorix, I have list a few fledged young now and its just starting to get the chill in the air. For how hard to aquire and expensive they are I too would also stop them as a fit and healthy live hen can produce mire young next year.
I know that wood roaches wouldn't be taken by my lot. I know that softbills and even chaffinches will take them.
Danny
shox

jnorriss, I know someone who has a young unrelated pair, would sell for about $850/pair, if interested or anyone else that maybe.
jnorriss

Thanks....regretably I am not in position to do anything right now. Have to put the finishing touches to new aviary and refurbish original one then will look at what is around and what my finances are at the time....but thanks anyway for your follow up

Return to “Red Crested Finch”