Red crested finch

west finch

Hi all i was feeding my finches there live food this afternoon and checked my red crested nest and noticed that a chick was hatching . So i raced over and grabbed the camera and took some photos of the egg hatching and how the nest was constructed . This is the second clutch in this nest , they fledged three last clutch.This is the first time they have used the same nest twice . note the nest is made of cotton and coconut fibre and is fairly flimsy . fingers crossed it all goes to plan they survived 42 c on friday I was thinking they were cooked . Enjoy the photos .
IMG_6382.jpg small.jpg
IMG_6388.jpg small.jpg
2012-12-19_09-31-19_148.jpg small.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Work smarter not harder !
Lukec

Nice work, thaw fledgling looks undercooked, these birds amaze me.

Well done
Living In a Unit is Worse Than Being Attached to a Ball and Chain.
Bgould

It looks like someone will be flooding the market this year. Lol :thumbup: Well done for your all your efforts so far this season :clap:
Craig52

Well done West Finch,i believe they do jump the nest a bit early. Cheers Craig :thumbup:
Danny

They leave the nest at a stage where you swear they are a week early but they climb around the shrubbery just fine.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations Well Done :thumbup: :clap:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Congratulations on your success. :thumbup:
LML
LML
TomDeGraaff

Well done bird and photo wise. Great to have such nest egg hatching shots. Great work :)
SamDavis

Great shots - well done. I know of a few people who've had success recently with them so maybe their numbers are on the improve.
west finch

Just an update on the progress of the chick . well as usual mother nature has thrown a spanner in the works :roll: . on checking the eggs this morning on my rounds there had been no further progress . Umm what to do ? . After removing the egg and opening the shell it became apparent that the chick had became stuck to the shell ( due to very low humidity ) and to my amazement was still alive . After replacing the chick back in the nest , I waited to see if the hen would return to the nest (which she did ) Half an hour later I returned to add 5 ml off water to the nest to increase the humidity for the remaining eggs ( a trick I have used before with good results ) the chick was looking stronger . After leaving the aviary, the hen again returned to the nest . So far so good ! :thumbup: more updates to follow .
Work smarter not harder !

Return to “Red Crested Finch”