Cutthroat Finch

Brett

Why should Harv have all the fun breeding birds.
Been thinking about getting myself a pair of Cutthroat finches.
They would be housed in a cabinet.
Have located a pair close by at $40 pp.
I have read they are not to hard to care for.

Advice please.

Bretto
djb78

Hi Brett and why should you miss out. I did have them years ago when I was getting into finches but didn't have success. All I can say which maybe helpful is hens can get eggbound easily and are notorious for it. Won't add anything I did as it may have been all wrong anyway. Good luck Brett.
Danny
Brett

Are there many breeders out there of cutthroats.

Bretto
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cutthroats are a bit of an anomaly, not as many breeders as other similarly priced birds, but still relatively cheap. Much like spice finches.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
Brett

For such a good looking finch i wonder why.?????
Thanks Jay

Bretto
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They can be aggressive and nosey, much like zebras. If housed in a cabinet on their own they should be no trouble :)
BTW the only cutthroats I've ever seen breed in my area have been in finch boxes, so not too much pressure for brush. Might need some live food though.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
spanna

I don't know why they are so uncommon either Brett, if nothing else, they're very striking. I don't have any as I try and keep my collection as placid as possible, and have heard they can be a bit agro. In a cabinet I wouldn't think this would be a problem, as J said. I've just bought a small aviary with 3 compartments, maybe I should try and find some cutties for it too... :lol: oh lord I need more space still.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Personally i find my Cutthroats very placid not aggressive at all and breed well in the aviaries and i have cabinet breed them as well.Have breed them for 7 years now.Maybe there a different temperment strain on the Kiwi side.my current birds average 4 to 6 chicks a clutch.
GregH

I bred cut-throats with my other finches until recently and had no trouble with them but they do have a reputation which may relate to the strain or sub-species kept. The birds I kept in the Philippines are very different looking to the birds available in Brisbane so I wouldn't be surprised if their behaviour is also different. I found they were enthusiastic breeders, sometimes even starting new clutches before the last one had fledged! They do require live food and I gave mine mealworms in addition to green seed. I saw the comment about getting egg-bound and certainly the hens I kept had a huge calcium requirement as they would lay like chooks at times and if the cock was a bit dodgy and the eggs were clear I've found nests with more than 20 eggs in them so any shortage of UV or dietary vitamin D or calcium is obviously going to cause a grief. My birds always had plenty of egg shells and cuttle bone on hand. I don't know about the Aussie strains but mine were poor nest builders and like Gouldians I'd help them out by lining nest boxes and occasionally they'd take over an old nest from another species. I've not seen one but there is a white from with the characteristic red slash on the male that is a great looking bird - if you're into mutants.
Brett

Got the male cutthroat finch about 3 weeks ago from a local breeder $10 for him,put him in a cabinet and wormed him ect.
He is now in the avairy with Harvey11 zebs,goulds and his Canarys.
No problems with him,keeps to himself,i have seen him in a few nesting boxes with baby zebs in there but no trouble.
Has a nice song and dance.
I will not be getting a female for him just happy to mix him into the avairy.

Bretto
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cut Throat Finch”