Cut throat Finches

E Orix

Last season I acquired 2 pr of Cut throats, very quickly they went to nest and have been producing ever since, I have swapped and new blood has been added. The young are now mating and breeding. Infact I have just about had a population explosion.
The problem with these birds is their ratio of male to females in the clutches. I have not had a clutch that has produced an excess of hens. If 3 chicks fledge, 2 male and one female. Small clutches of 2 are generally both males. most clutches are 3 young.
Has anyone experienced this with this specie and if you have a reverse situation please make contact.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mine breed like you describe.I breed 30 young last year and had 17 cocks 13 hens and most nests fledged 2 or 3 chicks too.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My first clutch of Cutthroats (this year) have just sent the first one out today (more in nest) and its a Boy..... :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice Cutthroat Pic VP :thumbup:
tonytoast

I once had four hens out of a nest....Toast
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2 males 1 female so far...haven't heard any more in nest so that may be it...more males then females also at this stage :thumbup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Cut Throat Finch”