Jacarinis - 3 pairs, 2 aviaries...

spanna

As the title suggests, I have 3 pairs of Jac's in my possession. I purchased 2 sibling pairs, got an additional cock from venetta and kylie for helping out assembling an aviary, and the other day my preferred bird store had some spare hens, of which I purchased one. So, I know have 3 unrelated pairs, but only 2 aviaries set up (one waiting to be set up, but need some good weather for concrete pouring). Of the birds I have, 2 cocks are fully coloured, while one is yet to attain his full plumage. The hens all look young to my eye, but unsure of exact age on 2 (one I know is about 18 months old). I am thinking that I may put one pair in my smaller aviary (6x3) and run a trio in the larger aviary (12x3), leaving the young, uncoloured cock in the holding aviary. Having never kept this species before, would be interested to hear what those with some experience with this species have to say.
Cheers
Alf63

Haven't had Jacarinis for a few years but I would be inclined to set up the 2 pairs. Leave a pair in the holding aviary and hope for good weather.

I always found them better as single pairs. You will do better in the long run with 3 pairs than having the trio.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Keep them as single pairs better breeding results will be achieved.
They have much the same temperment as Cubans and Red Siskins Once the chicks are independant take them out before the cock kills them.I had 2 trios set up and each cock killed 1 hen each leaving me with 2 pairs.They only have 2 or 3 chicks per clutch
E Orix

I run numerous pairs in one very BIG aviary and they do spar and set up their own territories.
They also pair up, with the breeding pair driving any odd birds from near their nest so I can't see a trio being really successful.
I have also tried running trios in smaller aviaries without great success.
The ratio of young to adult birds is definitely greater one pair per aviary.
I would also suggest you use the young bird as your main breeder as he will colour for the season and you know he is a young bird.
Just remember Jacarinis can lose their colour during the non breeding period.
kenny66

I would definitely only use 1 pair per aviary and not use trios. The hens can be just as difficult as the cocks with competition.I have bred many this season and I have been very lucky in that my main cock tolerates fledged chicks. I contributed to a species profile on the forum and it might be interesting info fo you to read that. The live food reqquirements are very heavy and I did notice that the continual provision of live food at all times does seem to temper aggressive traits. Nevertheless under normal circumstances the cock will kill any competition on site. Another point to mention is that they are very prolific and you will need to have plenty of extra holding capability for chicks because they may produce 3 or 4 clutches in rapid succession. I have been successful with both mealworms and maggots.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds like just the excuse you needed for another avairy Spanna. Good luck with them.
LML
LML
spanna

Thanks for all the replies! 1 pair per aviary it is. I have read the info you've added Kenny, thanks. Live food (maggots and mealworms) are both available, and my jac's have learnt to come down to the floor when I throw some around for the button quails each morning. I have plenty of holding space, a dedicated aviary as large as many peoples breeding aviaries!

Will let you know how they go once winter has passed :thumbup:

Return to “Jacarini”