jacarini roundup?

COUNTRY CAPITAL

wondering how other jacarini breeders catch out young in a large planted aviary.
I have a seed trap setup but rarely see them in it!
I have tried to herd them into my double door setup without success, they just dive into a bush or clump of grass.
I only have 1 breeding pair but they now have 2 clutches of young(4 birds) that need to be moved.
they behave very much like wrens ....any tips?
the aviary is 12m x 12m.
:problem:
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
E Orix

How do you catch them in a big aviary, with great difficulty!!!!!
I have a very big aviary, the catching system I can bring in will enable me to catch several 100 birds(98%) in under 1/2 hr.
The remaining 2% possibly 6 months and they would all be Jacarinis.
Time and a food trap is my only suggestion and plenty of luck.
I am not trying to be flippant, we have simply given up trying to catch them all.
SteveP

Lol. This is the exact reason I am no longer keeping jacarinis. It has taken me about 3 months to catch 14 birds (pair and seasons young) from one of my planted breeding aviaries. I tried trapping by putting food sources in a cage which created a trap but had a couple of instances where other species wouldn't go in and as a result left young to die. I barely caught any jacs using this method anyway. I ended up having to net them out after learning their escape routes and hiddy holes after persisting for 5 mins in the aviary almost each day for 3 odd months. Lovely bird but too hard to manage!

Good luck!

Return to “Jacarini”