Jacarini Finch Profile

Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds perfect!!! Thanks :D
Just post whatever you can, and I'll edit it in :thumbup:
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
kenny66

i will try to get it to you by tommorrow evening
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Julian

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
kenny66

This is info from my breeding pairs, which I have kept notes on and are based on my experiences and observations only. Please edit or delete anything you feel is appropriate. I hope it adds a little information to your Jacarini species profile project.

I have found that the courtship display can commence with some token giving or not. Initially the male chooses a display perch mostly in site of the proposed nest location. The hen is close by. He commences with a shrill cry which is then followed by a verticle leap with wings elevated and flashing the shoulder epaulletes. The display can continue all day into teh early evening.The feathers on the head are helmeted and the bib and tail feathers are flared. His choice of perch is often in a sunny location where I believe that the irredescent blue feathers are shown to best advantage.The vertical leap is quite high, between approximately 12-18inches. At a certain point the female makes herself visible from her secreted location.He follows her instantly and mating occurs, hidden, never in the open. The male Jacarini appears to provide the nesting material which the female weaves into position, although males can carry out the majority of the nest construction task themselves.The hen seems to determine the location of the nest.
The nest can be constructed in the open or in dense brush. Both locations are used in equal preference. The nests have never been more than one meter from the ground and have been situated on occassion half a meter from the ground or lower. It is a small cup shaped nest made predominantly from cocoanut fibre, spiders web if available , moss and minute sections of dried grass. The nest is very tightly woven. Incubation is about 10 days or on occassion 9. The young are very tiny. During breeding, Jacarinis are highly insectivorous, requiring a constant supply of livefood available at all times.Once hatched the chicks grow at a extraordinary rate. The uptake of livefood increases prior to egglaying and reaches a crescendo as the chicks grow. In my case I have found that between hatching and fledging male and female feed the chicks equally but past fledging the male takes on this role almost exclusively. The male shares inubation duties but the female undertakes this task at night, with the male perched next to the nest. The male is a diligent and protective parent. Whilst both the hen and the cock defend the nest site to about a metre circumference from where it is situated, the male is particularly active in defence. Jacarinis are highly insectivorous whilst breeding.I feed gentles and mealworms, with mini mealworms being the right size for the relatively small chicks. However the male will section medium mealworms to accommodate the chick gape. The gape markings are a prominant white. The chicks, once fledged are somewhat disproportionate in size with oversized legs compared to the body. The male unfailingly finds the chicks within the aviary, no matter how big. The young energetically chase parents to be fed, on sight. Post fledging the young continue to consume mealworms whole. The young are tolerated in a large aviary whilst retaining immature plumage, although there are reports that male Jacarinins will not tolerate juveniles much past fledging, I have not found this to be the case. I have found however that cock Jacarinis ill not tolerate juveniles anywhere near a new nest site. It is necessary though to remove any last seasons juveniles prior to the commencement of the breeding season when they begin to show colour. My experience has been Jacarinis are well suited as communal aviary birds. I have not witnessed any aggressive traits outside of the breeding season. Even then it is localised to the nest side and is mostly restricted to a threat display but no actual attempt to injure. Much has been said of their shyness but I have found them to be quite confiding within the aviary environment. During the breeding season the cock birds become very assertive in the live food tray and will snatch mealworms and gentles from your hand. Out of breeding season I have found them less assertive but very visible and not flighty or shy at all. As stated A double door is essential in keeping these birds, as apart from their normal agility and speed the males will fy right at you to be fed when breeding. Probably my favourite species.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fantastic!! :clap: :clap:
I'll edit it in in the morning :)
Thanks!
Julian

Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

all updated :thumbup: sorry for the delay.
Lots of thanks to Kenny66 :D :D
Julian

vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well Done Jayburd :thumbup: :thumbup:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
Gympie birds

Hey Everyone,
I am happy to add a few things as I bred them. I have had them for the past 3 years now. They are housed in a mixed collection Gouldians, red faced parrot finches, double bars, burkes, turquoise parrots, tri coloured parrot finches and strawberry finches in one avairy and the same in the other avairy only difference pied orange waxbills, st Helena’s , stars and painteds and no burkes or strawberries in the second. I have found them to get on with all species listed and no issues, even when breeding. I have mouse and snake wire on all my finch avaires and there is no holes in the avairy to escape. I don’t have a safety door I use a bird net hooked on to the front of the avairy when I go in, so far it works and no escapes. When I build a new avairy I will get a safety door. I feed mealworms and termites in breeding season and found that they like mealworms better to raise young. But will eat both. I would not say I am successful yet as I have only bred one chick and not the second pair. Nesting material I use is November grass, white feathers, kapok which is a cotton wool type natural fibre from gecko Dan and they use it and coconut fibre. The base of the nest is coconut fibre, then some November grass and then either kapok or white feathers are used before eggs are laid. I had to take the young out once eating by themselves as the male was aggressive and was trying to attack it. Hard to sex I thought it was a male chick I bred , but it could be a hen, I sold it on as I needed to make room to get a unrelated pair. Also I wrote more of my experience in Birdkeeper April may 2023 on them. Let me know if there are any further ? As I am happy to answer if I can.

Return to “Jacarini”