Black Headed Nuns

Tony

I was browsing through a not so local dealers today, took a wrong turn at work somehow!!! and noticed a few Black Headed Nuns in one cage. Some looked normal but there were a couple that had a light shade to their black heads and I didn't know if perhaps they were young still colouring or if perhaps they were of dubious parentage and maybe had some White Head through them. Any advice. Do young Black Heads have pale backgrounds as they moult out?
Tony
djb78

Found when I had them a while back that when the young were moulting into adult plumage that the head colour would be almost a greyish colour, and if I remember correctly that one of my adults was a lighter shade of black, that I thought that to be normal.
Danny
E Orix

Young Black Headed Nuns do have a lighter brown head and body. If their body is an even nut brown then they
are most likely adults and their heads should be Black
Sadly in the past their were crosses with the Silver Headed Nun which produces lighter brown heads
When they are crossed with Tri Nuns it is the Tri's chest that changes from white to white with Brown smudges for want of a better description

Return to “Black Headed Nun”