2012 great cocky count

Latest news from the AFF team.
Tiaris

Good doco with great camera work on birds & scenery. It struck me just how similar the Carnaby's are to our Yellow-tails - basically the same bird with paler tail & cheek colour (& a few thousand KMs of geographical separation). Yellow-tails are nesting here at the moment. I think they are very secure. I have Glossies feed & breed on our property too they are locally secure around here at least. Banning the harvesting of Forest Oak, Allocasuarina torulosa, in NSW has helped secure their main local food source. Neither of these locals are significant pests to agriculture so they don't have the pest animal pressure on them.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

was a great show and i hope we see more like it soon.....what about a doco on the plight of firetails or crimsons :idea:
the micro camera technology in the nest is awesome....i want one :ugeek:
surely someone on the forum has a "nest cam" set up? who wouldnt benefit from a big-brother view of our birds?
once installed no more intrusion needed. being able to view from your computer of who is throwing out the hatchlings or what is really taking them(gecko's,mice etc).
see exactly where that snake/rat etc is getting in would be gold.....just ask someone who has dug up half an aviary(samdavis).... dont lose your cool just view the footage....
considering the cost of initial purchase and construction of housing it would be a minor outlay i think, but with great benefit.

an opportunity for the techno/bird :geek: i think.... any takers?
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
Mortisha

CC - we use a couple of these on the farm for stacks of reasons.http://outdoorcameras.com.au/products_d ... oductID=25
Really handy for recording animal/bird behaviour - it has help us solve a lot of mysteries.
One guy we know uses them to help him remember where he last put the tool he now can't find :)
I have used them in the aviary to check how often birds use different feeding stations, where mice are getting in, etc.
Tiaris

At Finches '08, Howard Robinson showed brilliant footage of his New Guinea Munias crowing as soon as he walked out of his birdroom to solve his sexing woes as well as Green Twinspot and Western Bluebill nesting behaviour & their response to water, etc. A great way for us to learn from our birds the things they are reluctant to show us while we are too close for comfort.

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”