Compulsory Introduce Yourself ?

Latest news from the AFF team.
Craig52

Just wondering,when i joined this forum i was told by a certain person that i had to introduce myself and that was fine buy me.I had noticed that nearly every time i logon that there is a new member added to the total but they don't introduce themselves.It would be nice to know what new members keep or what they interested in,rather than just posting in the forum.Can it be made compulsory or not.?? Cheers Craig :wave:
spanna

Personally, I don't think it would work. Many people come on here just to do some research, read about the birds they want etc etc, but may not feel comfortable contributing or telling everyone what they have. Lots of people do post something in the introduce yourself section (I see around 450 topics in there with nearly 1300 members, so call it 1 in 3 people posting to introduce themselves?) but I think making it compulsory may turn a few people away, maybe not in the best interests of the forum or our hobby. That said, as with everything else on forums, that's just my opinion :lol:

I do see your point, but some people are very private about their birds, not everyone may be comfortable sharing their breeding successes with white bellied crimsons!!!
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep ...not everyone is comfortable with the meet and greet thing . Just happy to see the forum grow and to have people contributing their experiences and opinions .'
Why fix it if it aint broken ?
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Diane

The reason you would have been asked to post in Introduce yourself is that the person who suggested the forum to you would know you wanted to participate fully and gave you an easy way to get the ball rolling to use up the 5 mod approved postings so you could take advantage of all the site offers.
First postings in the Introduce yourself section isnt compulsory, new members can post in any topic visible to them, all we ask is the 5 postings just to get a "feel" for the person. Without those postings lots of the forum wouldn't be visible. Classifieds, members aviaries and newsletters are some that require the mod approved postings.

New names that appear at the bottom of the page as new members but never post anything.
A few different reasons Ive found over the time Ive been involved.

We have quite a few "watchers"
Some are so new to birds they dont feel they have anything to offer and would prefer to just browse to gain some knowledge.
Some are not regular computer users and as such don't feel comfortable using this form of communication, but enjoy and benefit from the postings made.
Some are spammers and lay silent hoping that time will pass and their account will not require the 5 mod approved posts. (This will not happen :thumbup: )
Some join, do the 5 postings to enable them to read the rest of the forum or specific areas but dont want to "join in".
Others just join to see and use the free classifieds and that is the only time we ever see their names on the board.
Others join up, their name appears at the bottom as our newest member but for some reason or another they never come back. Could be they forget they joined, or they joined to see the rest of the forum and didnt like what they saw or they become a "watcher".
Some seem to be "Professional Forum Joiners" and join every forum they come across.
Those names you see at the bottom of the page as the newest members is only the tip of the iceberg, there are loads that go through the beginning of registration and never complete it by activating the email we send to them, their motives remain unknown.

Such is the human condition!
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
Craig52

Hmmm, thanks guys for your very informative answers and Spanna, i s*#*T myself when i posted that in introduce myself as i have had birds stolen before but you only live once. Craig :wave: :thumbup:
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Craig I promise to leave a thank you note next time I help myself to your birds :lol:
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Dizzy

Hi Craig - I started in mid January 2012, I am a bit on the quiet side, being a beginner in Gouldians.
I don't contribute enough to the forum in case I may say the wrong thing and it sounds dumb.
As I become more confident and experienced I will try to contribute more.
Cheers Dizzy
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Youll be right Dizzy , just ask away .

No one should ever make you feel dumb on here , we are all learning , some just have learnt more than others .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When you stop learning your dead. So don;t wait that long to post. I haven't. You don;t have to give advice. Just relate experiences, ask questions. All OK on here.
LML
LML
Craig52

Yep go for it,i've said a few dumb things on here and others have let me know it but i don't care i'm pretty thick skinned and Mick i want your finger prints. :lol: :lol: :wave: Cheers Craig

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”