NSW Ornitholigical, & Ryde Canary & Cage Bird Show - 2/6/12

Latest news from the AFF team.
Canary

Combined NSW Ornithological Society and Ryde District Canary & Cage Bird Society 2nd June 2012,
at Hills Sports High, Best Rd, Seven Hills, NSW.

Open to the public from 1.00pm until approx. 2.30pm.

As well as canaries, there will be Zebra Finches, Australian & Foreign finches and Hybrids.
mattymeischke

What sort of hybrids might one find there? Canary mules for singing, or others too?
Just interested....;
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Canary

I have seen canary mules (crossed with goldfinches, greenfinches and siskins) and other finches that have cross-bred at shows in the past.

I am not sure what will be there on Saturday, but will check and if theer are any, take some photos to post.
mattymeischke

Thanks.
I have come across some reports and photos of some unusual finch hybrids and I am quite fascinated by them. I am very interested in genetics, evolution and speciation, and hybrids offer some interesting challenges to our current understanding of how species are meant to work.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
mickw

Of particular interest is this pairing of the Ornithological Society with a Caged bird Club :shock: ............this is a hybrid which might be worthwhile pursuing further :thumbup: .......
Myzomela

mattymeischke wrote:I am very interested in genetics, evolution and speciation, and hybrids offer some interesting challenges to our current understanding of how species are meant to work.Thanks.

In other words, what we see as fertile hybrids in aviculture defies the traditional definition of what makes up a species. I agree MM it is fascinating.
I wonder whether taxonomists would change their classification of species if they also considered whether 2 different forms/species could produce fertile hybrids or not? What am I saying? :silent:
mickw wrote:Of particular interest is this pairing of the Ornithological Society with a Caged bird Club ............this is a hybrid which might be worthwhile pursuing further
The last thing we need is taxonomists changing the species classification- again- just to confuse us and justify their existence!!
Exactly what I thought Mick when I saw it.
Perhaps Canary could enlighten us a bit more!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Canary

The NSW Ornithological Society was founded in 1894 making it the oldest of all the bird clubs in NSW . They had held an exhibition most years. This club was the only bird club in NSW for 13 years. The word Ornithological had a wider significance in 1894 that it does today. In 1935 they held their annual show in Sydney Town Hall which was the largest in Sydney to that date. Following that show The Avicultural Society of Australia was formed and also held its annual show at Sydney Town Hall.

The 12 September 1936 Australian Cage Birds summarises their 1936 shows.

The NSW Ornithological show had 198 exhibitors who entered a total of 1,547 birds. There were 681 canaries, 414 finches and 452 Budgies and parrots.

The Ryde show in 1936 had 1176 birds from 170 exhibitors.

In 1937 the NSW Orni show was again held in Sydney Town hall over 3 days. 231 exhibitors entered 2060 birds.

8 years ago they got together with Ryde District Canary & Cage Bird Society to hold a combined show as they had a number of members who were in both clubs and to help reduce costs.
mickw

Thanks Canary........Its probable that I read a bit much into it by assuming the NSW Ornitho Assoc had more "academic" leanings. I know I'm in good company in lamenting the rift between the academic and avicultural bird loving communities.....for a minute there I thought some heads had got together :lolno: .........Good on you guys though.....gee it would be tops to see 2000 birds at a sale, let alone a show :shock: ..........

PS: Kempsey/Macleay Bird Club sale and show June 9th........... :shifty:
Myzomela

Thanks Canary
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Diane

Those figures for the 1930's are quite impressive when you consider that Australia, along with the rest of the world, would have been trying to crawl out of the Great Depression. Sydney certainly wasnt immune to the ugly side of things with civil unrest in the streets at times.
Considering it would have been hard enough to keep body and soul together its amazing that many birdkeepers still had birds.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”