New Australian Grassfinch Book Launched

Latest news from the AFF team.
TomDeGraaff

I had the privilege on Wednesday night to attend the launch of this new book authored by Mark Shephard and Joe Forshaw. It is a beautiful book but quite expensive ($185). It's not a small book:32cm highand 28cm wide, 318 pages.

For those of you who love a beautiful publication to thumb through and refer to on occasions (that's me!), it is a great addition to your library.
The avicultural sections are very thorough since Mark has had a lot of first-hand experience. Where he does not, he has well-used the experiences of others just like in his other book "Aviculture in Australia". He has also supplemented his own experiences with those of others in the same way.

The colour plates by Anthony Pridham are beautiful although I find them a bit dark. Maybe it's my old eyes going! A fellow named Fred Knight did the line drawings which, I reckon, almost steal the book!
Joseph Forshaw delivers wonderful scientific and classic field information as well. Also, the late Richard Zann's work and his initial impetus for starting the book are very evident.
The bibliography is very comprehensive. In fact, some of our forum members will find their names amongst the references.
Well researched, well presented and well done.
If you get a chance,have a flick through a copy!
Cheers!! :)
Myzomela

Hi Uraeginthus,

Thanks for the report.
A friend and I put our names down for the limited edition copies but have heard nothing since.
Did they mention these at the launch?

Many thanks

Myzo.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
gomer

Thanks for the report Uraeginthus sounds like a great night out.I am Looking forward to receiving my copy in the mail.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Myzomela

I rang Andrew Isles & apparently the publishers abandoned the idea of producing the Limited Edition copies, and this run has been limited to 800 copies so that appears to be it.
They still have a few signed copies for sale.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
gomer

Mine has arrived may have a look tonight.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
TomDeGraaff

At Finches 11, they announced a special limited edition with "personalised " covers. I suppose that may be what has been cancelled. There were quite a few signed copies at the launch = more than attendees. I would expect that you could get one of those.
I will be honest. It's a beautiful book but....
I would not see it as "value for money" if you are after a general reference book with lots of new information. :)

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”