Zebra Finch Young Bird Show

Latest news from the AFF team.
Tiaris

I have nothing but praise for the Zebra Finch show breeders. You are one of the few sectors of the finch breeding community where an appreciation for breeding quality birds is universal. My 8 year old daughter has recently taken a very keen interest in breeding canaries & having seen her enjoying it my 6 year old son has just indicated an interest in breeding Zebra Finches. So when I can get him to decide on one or two Zebra Finch colours he likes most, I'll be on the hunt for some & sacrificing another couple of aviaries for the next generation of birdos.
TomDeGraaff

I wonder how many of us have or did have an aviary "for the kids".I use inverted commas because I still took as much interest in (yet less of the workload for) their birds and aviaries! Mine have canaries, zebs and a budgie (separate) names Aussie. Also a pair of Javas. More king quail etc when we eventually move house.
Welcome to the club, Tiaris !!
killimike

Gordy wrote:Thanks for the positive critique Mike. Zebra's certainly get varying comments from finch keepers.
Some travel the country attending shows, meetings etc & on the other hand I have been to some
general avi society/finch club meetings where they are scoffed at & equated to snake food.
Each to their own. :)
Pleasure to meet you Gordon, and happy to tell it like I see it! As a very new comer to the bird scene, I have not had alot of exposure to the sort of responses to zebs that you mention, but it does sound unfortunate. They seem like great little birds, where many people seem to have gotten a start.

But would now be the wrong time to mention that I have a snake? :D Luckily, he is very happy on frozen thawed rats.
killimike

Finchy wrote:
killimike wrote:...marked white/CFW seemed to be most popular. I was quite taken with the marked whites actually....
What? Who? Please tell me more!!! I am still looking for good Marked Whites... Did you catch the names of any breeders?

I can't help you with all but one of the exhibitors, I'm afraid, but I'm sure that one of the club members would be able to tho! The top prize of the day did go to a marked white cock that belonged to Peter Trouw from Glen Innes.

I think there were 5-6 marked white cock birds, and a few hens, it looked like the next biggest colour on the day after grey.
Finchy

Thank you! I wonder how I can track down Peter Trouw...? (Google doesn't know him :) )

It's great to hear that there are some MW show birds around from various breeders. I really think this mutation deserves breeding attention because it's so adorable, so I'm glad there are still several people doing that.

:)
killimike

Finchy wrote:Thank you! I wonder how I can track down Peter Trouw...? (Google doesn't know him :) )

It's great to hear that there are some MW show birds around from various breeders. I really think this mutation deserves breeding attention because it's so adorable, so I'm glad there are still several people doing that.

:)
I think the mutation looks great too!

I don't have Peter's contact details, and I think from our discussions yesterday that he is not a member on here, but I am sure that one of the club members will be able to help you.

It should also be noted that in talking about the number of birds, I was actually conflating MW and CFW :)
nswchainsaw

His name is Peter Trow but i think he lives a bit to far from you ( Glen Innis )
Garry

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”