QFS needs stock for flood affected aviculturists

Latest news from the AFF team.
GregH

At the Queensland Finch Society meeting held last Friday, January 1, 2013 a proposal was made for members to assess their stock in preparation for any call to assist with restocking flood devastated aviculturists needing assistance. Given the recent fires in the Southern States I'm sure this problem extends much wider than Queensland. I'm wondering that given the continental coverage of AFF if we could assist in this process? I live the Brisbane suburb of Chapel Hill and we didn't have power for 5 days so I'm sure communication is still a problem for others in more remote regions and rebuilding houses will likely be a higher priority before aviaries but some may need urgent housing for their stock first. If you know of aviculturists that are affected perhaps we could compile a list of those that may need assistance (name, region and contact - don't give street addresses as thieves are the last thin these people need) and these can be passed on to clubs assisting with similar programs. On the other side some of us may be able to offer temporary housing for affected stock, feed, building materials, livestock or just help cleaning up if you live in or close to these affected regions.

If this is not a good idea just tell me just tell me but if it is then let's network and see what we can do to assist those that have lost their homes and hobbies.

Greg
maz

Great idea! Hopefully there haven't been too many losses :(
mattymeischke

Hi Greg,
I'm happy to help if I can.

It isn't totally clear from your post if you mean help with restocking or help with holding other people's stock while they rebuild/repair. I think many forumites (or foristas as one of our Portuguese friends calls us) would be happy to help in whichever way we can, though it is hard to know who/where/what to help from the deep South.

I could give up some canaries, aussie finches and waxbills if stock is required; I would happily freight them to someone like yourself for redistribution to those who've lost their own. I would donate to some kind of "Help a fellow aviculturalist" fund. I have no spare aviary space to offer.

Keep us posted.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Diane

Im happy to help if I can.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
GregH

Thanks for the offer Matty & Dianne. Let's see what requests come in and I will contact the QFS secretary and pass on your offers. I think rehousing stock far outside affected area isn't going to be practical and could only be undertaken if those offering accommodation were closer.
TomDeGraaff

I am not near by, don't have many birds. I'd like to help by contributing to a fund for seed, medicines, etc. Would QFS do that sort of coordinating do you think?
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm the same as Uraeginthus - if there's anywhere to donate to a collection for foods/meds/vet bills etc, pleas let us know.
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
GregH

I'll just keep forwarding any offers to QFS. Their initiative was not as a result of any requests but proactive organisation which might anticipate and ease the hardships expected. It may be that for some reason affected aviculturists just don't seek help or don't know where to find the help.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Greg I think most that I know are helped by local members anyway....But there may be some that might seek outside help...I will mention it at next meeting, If its still on as Showgrounds are being used for other things at the moment...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
GregH

Got a reply back from the QFS President last night:
To: [email protected]
Subject: Flood Disaster Assistance
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 22:05:09 +1000

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your email and offers of help. At this point in time we do not know what is needed in the way birds or materials. I have asked Russell Kingston to let us know of any in the Bundaberg region, which was one of the worst hit areas, that may need help so we can let our members know at the next meeting. At the moment I imagine that the main focus of everyone affected is their home and family and only later on will they start thinking about their birds again. Not much point in having an aviary if you have not got a house to live in. I will put something in the next issue of Finch News asking people to let us know if they need help and also for people that can help. A good idea of yours suggesting agistment and materials. I had not thought of that having been chiefly concentrating on the birds. I will put out a message to the the Committee and get it started.

Best Regards
Sheena de Jager Miles

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”