Crimson Finch Reserch Aust National University

Latest news from the AFF team.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

"most of this research being done by universities and students on small budgets."
This seems to apply to so much of the worlds research on ecological matters. Even the research into Jarrah dieback, which would seem to be worthy of major timber industry funding. This is being done through Murdoch Uni over here in Perth. (my daughters Honours project is a part of it) While in Europe there is so much more funding being put into Oak dieback. I digress also. :oops: But the point is researchers and universitys have to be dedicated and willing to do what is closest to their hearts and what they can get funding for. So sometimes a degree of compramise is made.
LML
LML
mickw

Sorry, off topic, but loosely following the line of "why isnt someone doing a study?"........

We have to remember that research usually continues ad infinitum..........there's often no silver bullet so the problem wont always go away........for WAs Jarrah, its probably been around for much longer than many think.........but I havent studied it in great depth. I do however, recall dieback in WA forests being heavily researched 25 years ago when I was at Uni studying Forestry....jointly funded by the industry, government and Uni's......

There was a period through the 90's when the forestry profession & industry were hunted out of WA....I think it was by your WA branch of the Australian Medical Association who won a State election after WA Inc. ......they knew so much more about forest science apparently............. :roll:

I see there's a Native forest based industry back there again and it looks as though there's a fair bit going on with Jarrah dieback......Just had a quick look and here's a useful link which you can navigate around & find whats being studied and how its prioritised.............google dieback.org.au

As for Crimson finch research.....did anyone get their questions answered at the count?
gomer

The crimson is a good bird apparently for a student to do their PHD on,before moving onto a more delicate specie.This way the student can have trials and errors without being detrimental to the specie being studied.Then these learning outcomes can be more focused on a specie that may need help without being of harm to the specie.

Craig may have more to add but that is the way I took it.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Craig52

gomer wrote:The crimson is a good bird apparently for a student to do their PHD on,before moving onto a more delicate specie.This way the student can have trials and errors without being detrimental to the specie being studied.Then these learning outcomes can be more focused on a specie that may need help without being of harm to the specie.

Craig may have more to add but that is the way I took it.
I might have been a bit blunt when i asked the question but was given the same answer as gomer,but i can see their logic by using a more common bird to start with.
But,i still can't understand the dead bird aggression bit so will leave it up to them. Craig

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”