H7 Bird flu outbreak near Young NSW

Latest news from the AFF team.
GregH

A 10 Km exclusion zone has been set up around a free-range egg farm at young in NSW. According to the ABC story Bird flu outbreak near Young NSW. So far 2000 chickens have ben destroyed and it is expected that number will rise to more than 6000 once surrounding properties have been "destocked" - this will include all domestic birds despite the virtual certainty that the outbreak arose from contact with wild ducks. A lesson I can see in this; Always fully roof an aviary to prevent faecal contamination from wild birds but until the DPI changes its SOP it won't stop the destruction of domestic birds unlikely to have been exposed to influenza. It also warrants a public discussion of how animal welfare is improved by free-range egg production since chickens prefer captivity and their lives are endangered clearly endangered by unrestricted access to the outside world.
TomDeGraaff

So those with the rarer birds, please do not leave all your eggs (=birds) in one basket (=aviary set up) :)
Especially if you live within cooee of a poultry farm and/or wetland duck haven :)

I remember years ago, the Cairns Birdpark was totally gassed. Mind you, that may not have been local poultry but their own birds. I forget. The point is, these DPI guys are ruthless. I understand why but think there are more sensible (and just as effective) ways to deal with the issue.
Tom
GregH

News Update : Family farm 'devastated' by bird flu. Looks like it's pretty deadly to poultry so it will soon burn itself out.
GregH

As reported today (17/10/13) 400000 birds will be culled in the Young outbreak. The death toll has gone from 2000 to 18000 in 3 days so it will be a race to see what they actually die from and luckily it has not been detected beyond the original property.
GregH

I guess containment was too good to be true as reported another bird flu outbreak near Young has been linked to the initial outbreak. Significantly our new Agriculture Minister, Barnaby Joyce, has said that the decision by Woolworths to source eggs only from Free Range sources will further endanger the NSW flock by increasing the risk of exposure.

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”