Zebra and Longtail projects at Macquarie Uni

Latest news from the AFF team.
SamDavis

At The Finch Society of Australia meeting this Wednesday (9/4/2014) at 8pm, Simon Griffith from Macquarie University is talking about some of the Zebra and Longtail finch research projects underway at their facility at Marsfield. Did you know they have aviary space for some 2000 finches? Some background reading for those of you who love homework - http://bio.mq.edu.au/research/groups/av ... alecology/

Venue: Brenan Park Community Hall, Bourke St (near corner of Charles St), Smithfield 9/4/2014 at 8pm

You don't need to be a member, just show up!
(Although we'll harrass you to join)

Cheers,
Sam
casehulsebosch

Wonder is there is some cooperation/memorandum of understanding between Macquarie University and the Australian National University as work on the longtail and the Gouldian Finch is already being undertaken by the latter.

Also the website http://bio.mq.edu.au/research/groups/av ... alecology/
would need to be updated as the Gouldian is now off the endangered species list. (quite important I would have thought)

cheers

case
SamDavis

Sarah Pryke (of Save the Gouldian Finch fame and now at ANU) worked at Macquarie with Simon some time ago and maybe even at UNSW before that. I believe this is where the whole Gouldian Finch business began but am happy to have my memory tested... I'm sure they all cooperate.
Niki_K

Most researchers from different universities work together- there are a lot of links between the Macquarie zebra finch research and La Trobe University as well.
casehulsebosch

All universities are competing for funding in this day and age.

I am aware of Sarah's background and work she has been doing in the past, as well as the work of one of her collegues who has been specializing in the Longtail.
Maybe someone going to the Finch Society of Australia meeting tonight can ask some specific questions on this subject?

Many thanks in advance.

cheers, case
SamDavis

casehulsebosch wrote:All universities are competing for funding in this day and age.

I am aware of Sarah's background and work she has been doing in the past, as well as the work of one of her collegues who has been specializing in the Longtail.
Maybe someone going to the Finch Society of Australia meeting tonight can ask some specific questions on this subject?

Many thanks in advance.

cheers, case
All your questions and more were answered on the night. Heaps of interesting stuff going on at Macquarie. I'm uploading the whole of Simon's presentation to YouTube now. It's Full HD, about 3GB file, so will take all night. I'll post the URL to the video once it's all going.
gomer

Simon turned up at the stgf count while we were counting at a water hole.He was about to do a bit of reserch at the hole we had already been at for a hour or two that morning.Needless to say he wanted to give me a lift back and asked some interesting questions.At that point in time they were also wanting aviculturists to do trials for them with gouldian finches.In don't know if it got off the ground.In told him the study he was wanting to undertake with trying Sarahs theory and breed all male gouldians would not be to appealing for most breeders. Maybe they are going this research themselves?
I would be very interested if there is any recorded or documentation of the evening to have a gander at.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
SamDavis

Here's the link to the YouTube video of Simon's presentation at the April FSA meeting....
http://youtu.be/v-VFJnBnMJU
casehulsebosch

Thanks for the link Sam.

Will sit down tonite for a close look.

cheers, Case
Craig52

Thanks for the link Sam,very informative.Was that the mad Italians mobile going off. Cheers Craig

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”