PLEASE BE AWARE

Latest news from the AFF team.
ADMIN

It has come to my attention via emails arriving at the forum email address that a nuisance spammer has started using PART of the forum email address, theateam6AFF part, the part after the @ is totally different.

Please dont click on any attachments in these emails.

If you see these emails in your inbox you can mark them as trash and your email program will automatically put them in the trash or you can go one step further and mark them as blocked.

If you need any help with this just let me know.

Please be aware that in most cases the forum will not contact you via email nor will we send attachments unless a prior announcement has been made.
iaos

Does this mean the forum email list has been hacked? .

Cheers Ian
ADMIN

Not at all.

Just trying to be responsible internet citizens where our forum name is concerned.

Its more a nuisance. All someone has done is taken the first part of the forum email address and put that with their host email provider.
You could do exactly the same with any email address you choose. As an example you could have

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

You could even have an email address that is the same as the Queensland Finch Society, or the Bank of America or any other company, person or group if you wished as long as the part after the @ was different from the one those companies, people or groups are with.
iaos

Thanks Admin. :thumbup:
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I got someone emailing me with my own address???? dont know how that is done... :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Is the address identical? Only needs one small change. e.g. A capital instead of a small letter. To be all OK as far as being different is concerned. :whoa:
LML
LML
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

finchbreeder wrote:Is the address identical? Only needs one small change. e.g. A capital instead of a small letter. To be all OK as far as being different is concerned. :whoa:
LML
No its exactly the same.... I have had to block myself lol lol
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
SamDavis

FYI. It is possible and really simple to send email using any "from" email address you desire. Most servers involved in transmitting email only consider the "to" address, the rest of the message can be anything at all. Unless some other security is employed (encryption often) there is no guarantee whatsoever to prove the identity of the sender.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thats y u should use a pre agreed code to e-mail home when travelling overseas. Tip from my IT geek son.
LML
LML

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”