Call for Gouldian finch feathers

Latest news from the AFF team.
PeriFinch

Dear Aussie finch enthusiasts,

I am a PhD candidate and Research Associate at Macquarie University, working with Professor Simon Griffith. We are looking for feathers from Gouldian finches from across Australia to do some genetics work. The idea of the project is that finch keepers across the country contribute a couple of feathers from their birds. If you breed hundreds or have just a few, the feathers could be useful for this project.

This project seeks to identify individuals or populations better suited to reintroduction to the wild by assessing the genetic diversity of captive stocks relative to the wild. We are also interested in basic questions about genetic changes that occur due to domestication and common avicultural practices. This is part of a larger project that is exploring genetic changes through time. We are comparing samples from museums from 100 years ago, contemporary wild birds, and contemporary captive birds. Preliminary work has found that there are genetic differences between wild and captive populations, as well as genetic differences between red head and black head morph domesticated birds, and we are interested in exploring this further with a comprehensive dataset.

Macquarie University will provide you with an information kit, feather sample envelopes and return postage.

For more information please visit http://www.domesticgouldians.weebly.com, or call Peri within business hours AEST (02) 9850 1304, or email [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you soon! :mrgreen:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have always been curious what difference there is between red and yellow head, apart from the visual. Believe yellow is just dilute red, so should in theory be no difference? Good luck with your PhD
LML
LML
MuzzaD

The FSWA is advertising to its members to assist your project, so hopefully you will be receiving feathers from the West shortly. This is a very interesting and valuable project.
BrettB

Get on board fincho's

Any research that involves finches is worth supporting and this may throw up some interesting results if Peri can get a big enough cross section of domesticated birds. Collection of feathers is the same as for DNA sexing, which many people are familiar with.

The more people who send in feathers, the more useful the results will be.

Cheers
Brett
"We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are ." Anais Nin
SamDavis

BrettB wrote:Get on board fincho's

Any research that involves finches is worth supporting and this may throw up some interesting results if Peri can get a big enough cross section of domesticated birds. Collection of feathers is the same as for DNA sexing, which many people are familiar with.

The more people who send in feathers, the more useful the results will be.

Cheers
Brett
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Agree. Fantastic opportunity for all Gouldian breeders and what a great promotion for aviculture.
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sent an email no reply as yet. ...
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
PeriFinch

Thank you all for your support :)
vettepilot_6 wrote:Sent an email no reply as yet. ...
Vettepilot_6, I have not received any emails about this yet! did you send it to [email protected]? I just checked all my spam filters, and i know the contact form on my website should work. Maybe try again?

Cheers,

Peri
PeriFinch

Hi,

I have figured out what was going on with the website contact form. It was sending it to an email that I don't check very much. All has been rectified. I will reply soon.
Blue Cuban

Hi Peri,

I Would love to assist but I'm unsure of your preferred stock you want the samples from.
Are you accepting feather samples from birds carrying know colour mutations? or pure normal?

Rich.
Hobby finch Keeper
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Blue Cuban wrote:Hi Peri,

I Would love to assist but I'm unsure of your preferred stock you want the samples from.
Are you accepting feather samples from birds carrying know colour mutations? or pure normal?

Rich.
From what I read on the website it is normal type comparisons from old museum stock to wildtype and normal aviary birds....but correct me if I'm wrong.. :think:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”