Illegal Trapping

Latest news from the AFF team.
ADMIN

There's been some recent threads discussing illegal trapping. As a result we've had communication from DELWP in Victoria requesting our assistance to ensure our Victorian users are aware that taking any native species of bird from the wild is illegal.

Note that in all states of Australia, it is illegal to trap or take native birds from the wild without a permit or licence. Different states have different penalties for illegally trapping native birds, but in all cases the maximum penalty is significant. The owners and administrators of Aussie Finch Forum do not support any illegal activity including illegal trapping of native birds.

On behalf of AFF administrators and moderators.
arthur

Good to have it confirmed that at least one state "authority" reads our thoughts . . I know in Qld that they used to read the bird club magazines in search of incriminatory statements . .

Didn't take them long to respond to a trapping issue; somewhat different from the lack of response on bird sales

Why wouldn't public servants spend a bit of time checking out our forum, and others like ours . . beats workin'

And just a little word to any Qld "authorities" who maybe scanning these pages:

When are we going to get something approaching parity with other states with regard to bird keeping regulations :(
toothlessjaws

arthur wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 08:23 Didn't take them long to respond to a trapping issue; somewhat different from the lack of response on bird sales
Arthur, one was a simple reminder as to what was the law because some people were (very stupidly in my opinion) blatantly advocating breaking the law on the forum. The other involved having legislation re-written and enacted in parliament. but to you thats the same? if you think changing the law is as simple as writing an email i'm hardly surprised you are so frustrated.
arthur

toothlessjaws wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 10:38 i'm hardly surprised you are so frustrated.
Does it show :?
Mycoola

Most responsible aviculturist knows the laws and abids by them, its the unscrupulous ones often non bird breeders who trap, take from the wild for a quick buck. You only have to look on gumtree and see people selling multiple pairs of say Rainbow lorries or Musk lorries cheap and it rings alarm bells, You only have to see how many baby handraised Sulfer crested cockies, Galahs and Corellas that are in Petshops to realise that most would have to been poached as these are never bred in large numbers, do the authorities turn a blind eye, or are these all legally taken by licence trappers.. Personally I think the laws are just, admire and respect our birds in the wild, buy your birds legally and enjoy.
Tiaris

I doubt they read it without being pointed to it.
arthur

You may be right, but they used to subscribe to clubs in the '70's to monitor any such activity . . (told to me first hand)

They may not be such *rs*holes these days :silent: . . or more casual
noah.till

One of the local Pet stores in Toowoomba got done for illegal trapping of Double Bars
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Brisbane_Finches_333

Why would you illegally trap birds when you can breed them? Maybe because increasingly more people keeping Finches as ‘pets’ desex them. Maybe because people are believing that birds are as domesticated as cats and dogs and will breed so frequently and easily (zebbies excepted) even the RSPCA has an advertising campaign to ‘stop unwanted young and desex pets’.
Aidan [] Junior Moderator [] Breeder of Native and Foreign Finches
Queensland Finch Society Member
2019 ABK Magazine Young Birdkeeper Winner
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Brisbane_Finches_333 wrote: 30 Jul 2019, 16:28 Maybe because increasingly more people keeping Finches as ‘pets’ desex them.
I don't think that's even possible.

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”