SA News.......Camsal Aviaries

Latest news from the AFF team.
Diane

For the South Australian members.
Just to let you know that Camsal Aviaries has changed hands.
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
desertbirds

Correct if im wrong BB , i think the former owners have been there for years (and years) . Forum members interstate may not recognise the few dealers that exist in SA. Over a 20-30 year involvement in finches there has always been Camsal,Gem,Hakendorf ?, Emblem and SA birds . There has been others come and go. At times these small businesses have been fairly major players in the changing trends of aviculture. Ive only been there a few times but found the premises and the birds very clean and tidy. I recall the previous owners being involved in many aspects of wildcare and conservation,at one stage i recall mammals also being on the breeding program.Saw my first wrens for sale there. Good luck to the new owners. :thumbup:
Diane

Your right DB, the same two guys have been at Camsal for at least 20 years that I can think of.
I believe Dean was the owner and the dark haired guy worked there. They ran a tight ship, cabinets cleaned and painted on a regular basis. Always plenty of products and livestock available. Good advice from them too. Cant say I ever saw anything I went :wtf: at. Emus and kookaburras down the back too, not to forget Coco and Peta the sulpher cresteds.
Good luck to them both in whatever they are doing now.

Gem, I have been told has moved shop, used to be on the Main North Road Pooraka
SA Birds is a bit further in towards the city at 440 Main North Road Blair Athol
Hakendorfs is till going strong.
Emblem Aviaries 95 Holbrooks Road Flinders Park, never been there as its well south for me.

The new owners of Camsal seem to be into budgies as there were quite a few trophies on display and after speaking to the lady there she told me they have club rung birds in the cages.
Diane
Garthantash

Gem Birds have moved farther up Main North Road. They were at 803 but are now at 1181 Main North Road.

Emblem Aviaries aka The Bird Place is fantastic. I live down south (around Glenelg) so getting to Camsal or Gem is a day trip for me. John, who runs The Bird Place, is great shop keeper and really helped me get back into finch keeping. It turns out that was the store/dealer of choice of my wife's grandfather who was an avid finch keeper in the 80's.

I have never heard of Hakendorfs, I will have to check it out.
Diane

Hakendorfs is on the The Parade at Beulah Park, runs out the back of his house.
Only been there once, think the entrance is in Salop Street.
phone is 8431 2939 to confirm address and hours of opening.
Diane
desertbirds

Garthantash wrote:Gem Birds have moved farther up Main North Road. They were at 803 but are now at 1181 Main North Road.

Emblem Aviaries aka The Bird Place is fantastic. I live down south (around Glenelg) so getting to Camsal or Gem is a day trip for me. John, who runs The Bird Place, is great shop keeper and really helped me get back into finch keeping. It turns out that was the store/dealer of choice of my wife's grandfather who was an avid finch keeper in the 80's.

I have never heard of Hakendorfs, I will have to check it out.
Hakendorf looked like he was 80 when i was a kid :wtf: and hes still there, he must 120 years old :lol: . John from Emblem is a great guy and his dad used to the run place, kind of abrupt but a straight shooter. I think these dealers are suffering a bit as times have changed with all the sales and the internet.Lou anne at Sa bird Co is also good value and been around for years. I reckon Adelaide is unique in that the same 4 or 5 dealers that i went to as kid are still there 30 years on. 2 of the older dealers recognised me after a 20 year absence which is always nice.

Return to “Announcements, News & Rules”