"Site may be compromised"

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
matcho

Just noticed a tag on the AFF which reads "This site may be compromised" when accessing through "Google". When I delve into the reason for this tag it tells me to notify the administrators/moderators or webmaster as the site may have been "hacked". Haven't noticed it before. Probably a simple explanation but just thought I would bring it to the attention of admin/moderators. Hope its nothing serious.

regards

Matcho
Mortisha

Results labeled "This site may be compromised"

If you're the administrator of a site we've identified with this warning message, please visit the instructions found in our Webmaster Help Center to investigate and resolve the problem.

To protect the safety of our users, we show this warning message for search results that we believe may have been hacked or otherwise compromised. If a site has been hacked, it typically means that a third party has taken control of the site without the owner’s permission. Hackers may change the content of a page, add new links on a page, or add new pages to the site. The intent can include phishing (tricking users into sharing personal and credit card information) or spamming (violating search engine quality guidelines to rank pages more highly than they should rank). Learn more about hacked sites

What can I do if I see this message?

If you see the warning message you can contact the webmaster and request that they investigate and clean up the site if it has been hacked. In the meantime, you can continue to the site at your own risk, but you should be careful about providing personal information to the site. If you decide to proceed to the site, make sure that you have the most updated version of your browser. It’s also good practice to ensure that other programs on your computer such as Flash and Acrobat Reader have the latest security updates.

"This site may harm your computer" warning

To be clear, when our malware detection system classifies a site as potentially hosting malware, we show a "This site may harm your computer" message. When we believe a site may be hacked or compromised but have not detected malware, we display "This site may be compromised" as an alert. In both cases, our detection might not be perfect -- we continually work on improving our system -- but it would be wise to proceed with caution.

Whatever your platform or type of infection, Google recommends the following steps:

1: Quarantine your site
2: Assess the damage
3: Clean up your site
4: Ask Google to review your site
matcho

Well, what's the reply to this? Did the mods or administrators take any notice? Are we safe?
Buzzard-1

We're safe !!!!!! having our web expert look deeper to find out why, I have had google sending me the same thing when I log into hotmail Image
Diane

Yes the mods and Admin did take notice.

This was noticed the day before your opening post and I informed the rest of the mods and admin and our web helper immediately 11th April 6.30am.

As Buzz said steps have been taken to find out the reason for this. I have read further on the Google pages to an area where Google admits that their system can be "over sensitive" reading problems where none actually exist, but they feel its best to warn than nothing.
Cant say I felt that way when I first read that message. :?
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
matcho

Thanks BB
VinceS

Having gone round this problem in extreme detail 3 months ago when a forum I admin got hacked one suggestion I have is that this check seems to be reliable:
http://sitecheck.sucuri.net/scanner/?sc ... hforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And, as you can see, the news is good.

In my own experience the host said they had removed all the malicous code but the above website reported a fail, and it was right - took about 2 weeks to figure out what was going on but there was a random posting from unauthorised sources. Plus the deal was about covertly spreading the code to others. It is unbelievable how this all happened, but one thing I am sure of is that I will never again click on that Flash Player Updater pop-up that looks oh so professional. How it arrives is a mystery to me, but it sure isn't via Adobe. They make it happen every 3 weeks or so which means we don't initially join the dots, we might fix the problem but then get caught again..........!
Some days are Diamonds some days are Zebs. Sometimes the coccidiosis won't leave me alone. Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my Gouldians. But any day with my finches is a day without stones.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”