Making Registration and Set-up Less of a Pain, For Everyone!

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
VinceS

I would like to suggest that a couple of minor tweaks are needed to forum defaults. A key one is that new accounts should default to "notify me of replies by default" but they are set up to "don't notify me". Let people change it to not subscribe or notify if they wish, but forums are always much more active and successful if the replies come through on posting.

I am missing two of my start-up to-be-moderated posts (in viewtopic.php?f=35&t=11435" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I think they both had pictures attached so maybe that is relevant?

In my experience there are much better solutions than reviewing the first 5 posts to keep the spammers out. A very effective way is to set up a few questions on registration that only someone with an interest will know, and phpBB has this feature, is it enabled? I don't remember answering any questions. For no effort then all the non believers that just want to sell their useless wares will give up and move on the the next one, eg:
what is the main colour of a wild female zebra?
How many beaks does a double bar have?
What did a new fledgeling just do?
What colour are finch eggs?
How many eggs does a singing canary lay?
How many birds are in the Aussie Finch banner (18)
How many birdeyes are in the Aussie Finch banner (20)

My own experience is with SMF, and using questions has totally stopped spam registrations. It is much nicer to live with as the admins don't have a review job to do anymore and the spammers don't come. If bad behaviour kicks in the Report This Post feature works, I can't see it but I presume that is because I am not AFF fledged yet ..........?
Some days are Diamonds some days are Zebs. Sometimes the coccidiosis won't leave me alone. Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my Gouldians. But any day with my finches is a day without stones.
SamDavis

Thanks for bringing this up Vince.
It's easy to forget the annoyance of the first 5 moderated posts once you've been on for a while. I've had a number of new AFFers I've referred mention their annoyance at having to wait for their posts to be approved - I suspect some have disappeared before 5 posts because of this.
Would be great if those great Admin people can look into this further.
Sam
Diane

The 5 post rule was brought in because of some rather unsavory spam and at the time the owner didnt have the expertise to do much more. Since we have had the forum (Feb 2011) we have most importantly got a better server and now have help with the tech side of things. As the 5 post option was working well and there is usually someone on the board most times that can approve the new posts we left it as it is so we could work on other projects. Now we have some of those things underway we can move onto the other niggly things that did the job at the time but could do with improving.
This forum wont be a static site, we intend to keep improving it all the time. :D
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If it aint broken then don't fix it .. :D
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
VinceS

jusdeb wrote:If it aint broken then don't fix it .. :D
I think what Sam and I are pointing out is that it is at least a bit broke! And it matters.

I soooooooooo understand the issues of using the available time and skills. I am just saying this piece is more important than it might seem to a seasoned veteran of the forum, it is worth making at least a small change. Eg cut the moderated post count back to one.

I will also add I have found the question style of spammer protection so effective I can turn on guest posting in the Ducati forum. If people just want to say something without bothering with an account they just have to get whichever two of the below q's are presented to them. So far not a single spammer has managed it and I have the log which says they have tried at least 30,000 times to do it other ways!
  • Which country are Ducatis manufactured in?
  • Surname of famous local MotoGP rider Casey (S....r)
  • Desmoquatros have how many valves?
  • Which part of a Ducati is a Desmoquatro? (m...r)
  • How many valves in a 2 valve plus a 4 valve motor
  • What colour is the Pirelli on a red Ducati?
  • If you apply the Brembos from stationary how many seconds before you will stop again if the bike has a 0-100km/hr time of 3.2 secs and can stop in 4 secs?
Please note this is just spreading knowledge of what works, not meant to be any other thing.
Some days are Diamonds some days are Zebs. Sometimes the coccidiosis won't leave me alone. Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my Gouldians. But any day with my finches is a day without stones.
MadOzzie

I think one of the values of this forum is the fantastic information that is available so freely. I would think that this site would be a great help to people who are to the hobby or even considering getting an aviary and some finches.

When I mention I have finches and canaries I find people who "would like to have some birds" ask all types of questions and there basic knowledge is such that they would not know how many eggs a ducati would lay or what colour a pirelli finch is.

I think moderating the first few postings until the person shows they are genuine is reasonable. Maybe a good "profile introduction" could equal a number of questions if not all 5.

Thanks again to the moderators for keeping us on course and saving us a lot of spam.

MadOzzie
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I myself think that with the past problems we've had that the forum it is where it should be , it works for me .
David Brent
VinceS

Look I'm not going to labour the point, but let me just say that because we enjoy children doesn't mean that childbirth was fun! As Sam suggests, some just run away. You set it up for an "in" crowd and an "out" crowd that way.

What is being missed in the "its OK how it is" box is that every single newbie is going through some level of being intimidated and/or crapped off by the process. This means ALL OF 'EM. What effect that has is the only thing up for debate. My question is "why would ya do it if you don't hafta?"

I get that the questions have to work, but that is just a case of coming up with the right ones. These two suggestions would have to be OK, what about others:

How many birds are in the Aussie Finch banner (18)
How many birdeyes are in the Aussie Finch banner (20)

If you are at all curious the answers to the above are Italy, stoner, 4, motor, 6 (duh!), black (it's the tyre), 0 (its the brakes).

even dumbing it down to:

If three birds of a feather flocked together on a perch how many birds are there?
venetta

All I can say is I'm glad I'm already a member if that comes into effect!! Hahaha
Venetta and Kylie
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look . Agree to disagree . Welcome to the forum :D
David Brent

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”