Why AFF's greaat maate!

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
natamambo

I didn't bother to read that "other" thread over the last few days until it was locked (the power of censorship :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and I was a bit surprised at the the exposed spleens so I thought I'd start this thread which focused on all the greats rather than the niggles.

So, here goes the first of (hopefully) many responses.

I love AFF because:
1) Posting and seeing my post appear was exciting and encouraged me to post more in the "welcome and profiles section" to get me to my 5 faster ;-) 8-)
2) It gave me the confidence to tackle softbills after decades of wishing, as I could get info without running the gauntlet of the "old boys network" inside the avicultural society
3) It helped me find cheaper food suppliers, both seed and live food, allowing for flock size increases
4) I've met some great birdies and had some interesting aviary tours both locally and through days like Gouldian open day without all the politics of being in a club going to meetings listening to some oldie lecture everybody on why their method is best (at least here you can choose to switch off mentally for them :lol: )
5) I get a laugh a day - thanks Deb :clap: :wave: :lol: :lol:

I hate AFF because:
1) Now that I'm kinda retired I've discovered that New Posts doesn't give me something new to read for hooooours some days :lol: . Come you lot, stop being so slack :D .

Thanks Owners & Mods for all you do to keep his great community alive and well.
Tintola

Bravo :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: A bit of positivity. :thumbup:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
SamDavis

Agree 100% with everything except for (2) but I'm close.
venetta

Agreeeed!

I didn't find any problem with making 5 posts, and now we get a wealth of information from so many people!

We've met many members already at things, or bought birds from other members. It's so nice! :)
Venetta and Kylie
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep my point exactly ..it aint broken .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
SamDavis

I don't want to open up the issue again but it'll make me feel better if I let you all know what my motivation is for questioning the "moderated 5 post" system.

My issue is based on discussions with 3 people who have purchased finches from me in the last 12 months. I always mention AFF to purchasers. These 3 knew of the site and had joined but were put off by having their posts moderated. I don't think they understood it would only be the first 5 posts and I suspect they never stayed long enough to even find this out. In each case they had recently built aviaries and would really have benefited from the site.

In addition one of them mentioned that they didn't think there was much info on the site anyway. I pointed out that much of what I had discussed and shown him at my place and much much more was all on the AFF site (livefood, softfood, etc, etc.). I realised that until you've made your 5 posts you don't get to see all of what the site has to offer. I don't recall what you do get to see.

Clearly the above experiences are not those we all encountered or we wouldn't be here. My concern is that really genuine people might be missing out on everything we have to offer and we are missing out on what they have to offer.

Right got that out of my system. Love you all (even Vince S) :lolno:!
Craig52

Totally agree Natamambo, As i have a disabled wife and getting to Geelong ASA branch meetings has vertually come to a halt and has left me out of the picture.
Being able to sit in my lounge with a laptop veiwing and posting posts gives me so much pleasure especially regards to it being predominately finches,my obsession.Sorry ASA,You are a little bit one sided when it comes to finches.
As a full time carer for my wife who has MS,i can now be in the comfort of my own home taking advice/giving advice and getting a few laughs along the way,not one night a month but when ever i choose too.....
Thanks Natamambo for bringing this topic up and for ALL who run the AFF you really make my life just that little bit easier. :wave: :wave: Cheers Craig :thumbup:
E Orix

I have mixed feelings about how easy or hard it is to join our Forum or any other.
If it is really really easy then more may join up but will they contribute.Remember the Forum is a give and take platform otherwise it will die.
Personaly if it is a little harder it hopefully keeps out the moronic spammers but also means if someone is willing to go that extra step
then they may even become a contributor.
While it seems a pain in the "A" I am still in favour of keeping it as is.

Natamambo
You think the "old boys gaunlet" is bad now. Well they are pussy cats to what it was like 30+ years ago.
They were down right rude and would openly say go away son and come back in 10 years.
I have stories that would curl a personss hair.No the establishment was torn down eventually.
natamambo

Sam and others, my post was not intended to justify the 5 posts rule but rather to point out that registration is well worth it no matter what process is used.

E, it was those 30 years ago experiences that put me off anything other than a few easy to keep parrots and finches until I found AFF :mrgreen: .
BluJay

Even in view of that "OTHER", thread, I have never looked at this forum as negative! Spleens will get exposed, on many topics. My motto, is an old saying:

I am I, and you are you. I am not in this world to live up to your expectations, and you are not in this world to live up to mine, and if by chance we should fine one another, BEAUTIFUL!

I have met some nice people here!

Jusdeb, when you posted in mini chat, I started a pm to you to say, want me to post something flabbergasting! :lol: To cheer you up.

Still, an informative site. Until we get a BIRD WHISPERER, it can only be guested why!

Ah, good ole google, found it,

I do my thing and you do your thing.
I am not in this world to live up to your expectations,
And you are not in this world to live up to mine.
You are you, and I am I,
and if by chance we find each other, it's beautiful.
If not, it can't be helped.

(Fritz Perls, "Gestalt Therapy Verbatim", 1969)

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”