other forum suggestions

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
fishdance

A couple more suggestions which may or may not be useful...

1) The breadcrumb trail is not particularly descriptive and could be much more useful. What is the difference between 'Aussie finch forum' and 'Aussie Finch Forums'? Especially as when you go to Aussie Finch Forum, all you can do is click on Aussie Finch Forums...? Similarly when down one of the thread paths it can be hard to work out how to go elsewhere without having to come back out to the main tree path. This difficulty is compounded for those on mobile devices/small screen/slow load times. Unfortunately there is a lack of uniformity so users will have to remember the quirks on each page. I'm probably not explaining this very clearly sorry. Perhaps an easy example is to find "View New Posts" you have to go all the way out to the 'Board Index' each time, regardless of what page you currently are on. It would be a very simple matter to have a 'View New Posts' link at the top of each section page or have frames with the top one static (so its always the same). The naming also leaves a bit to be desired although that is more cosmetics.

2) Seeing who posted the last comment is not really very helpful. When looking at my picture as an example, we see Wayno was the last poster in General Questions but we don't know what topic. Clicking on General Questions area might tell you which topic but Wayno may have posted on several threads/topics that day and if the page is cached, his is no longer at the top anymore. I don't know who wayno is (just using you as an example - sorry wayno) and it would be far more useful to see what the last thread was, not the poster. Again this is much harder for those on mobile devices.

Winston

sorry for image quality.... the file size restriction can be limiting.

Greg41

For simple folk like me it is great, the whole forum is run by volunteers who may or may not be computer nerds[is that the word?] apply to join the committee and work from inside.

Cheers Greg.
GDG
TomDeGraaff

Sorry but I don't see your problem.
I have a link to the Board. Then I simply click View New Posts.
Then I click to end.
I systematically go to each topic and then use the back key to return to my View New Posts list.
I find the current system quite easy to use. Well done to those volunteers who provide this clever and smooth system.
I'm sorry again but I think you are being a bit picky.
Just my view :)
elferoz777

Uraeginthus wrote:Sorry but I don't see your problem.
I have a link to the Board. Then I simply click View New Posts.
Then I click to end.
I systematically go to each topic and then use the back key to return to my View New Posts list.
I find the current system quite easy to use. Well done to those volunteers who provide this clever and smooth system.
I'm sorry again but I think you are being a bit picky.
Just my view :)
100% agree

I do what you do
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
GregH

fishdance wrote: What is the difference between 'Aussie finch forum' and 'Aussie Finch Forums'? Especially as when you go to Aussie Finch Forum, all you can do is click on Aussie Finch Forums...? Similarly when down one of the thread paths it can be hard to work out how to go elsewhere without having to come back out to the main tree path.
Hi Winston. I've wondered the same myself but I don't think we have the expertise to address housekeeping issues like this. If you have the time, expertise and inclination perhaps the owners will I'm sure consider any offer for help.

Greg
venetta

I have no problem with how it is.

I like that it tells me who was the last person to post, as I tend to go looking for certain people's posts sometimes as I like to hear what some people have to say over others (no offense to anyone ;D).

I also just go back to the board index if I want to change which forum I am in, maybe I go the long way around but I don't care. It's no hassle.
Venetta and Kylie
fishdance

This is the forum suggestions area and that's what I am doing. I have no problems with things staying the same if that's what is deemed best. No criticism is intended. I will continue to make observations as I genuinely believe that informed decisions are better than not knowing. The more people post with more suggestions, the better off we will be as an online community.

There is nothing wrong with continuing to use a forum the way you are used to. Any good design would accommodate and it's an underlying concept of change management.

Owners of the forum are already aware I have volunteered my services.

Winston
TomDeGraaff

Sorry fishdance. I came across as critical as did you.
I find the current layout fine but there is always room for improvement.
I'm sorry you took umbrage at comments posted. Perhaps I took some offense at the way you worded your criticisms.
I tend to be somewhat defensive of this forum that offers so much enjoyment and help. :)
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am perfectly happy with things the way they are. But just as we make suggestions about how better to manage our finches, so suggestions about the forum are OK. So long as people remember that this forum is fun by a wonderful group of owner/volanteers. Three cheers for them. :soppy: :soppy: :soppy: Think it's time to chill. And read some more of the forum.
LML
LML
fishdance

No apologies are required. Its very easy to take written comments the wrong way and I often write on a tiny mobile phone. I am confident everyone here is most appreciative of the efforts of admins, mods and users alike.
However, if someone has taken my earlier posts the wrong way then I also apoligise.

Winston

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”