Twitching Queensland and NT.

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Netsurfer

Does anyone remember Ray Ackroyid's Bird Shop in Bankstown NSW about (30 years ago) he was one of the very few licensed government bird trappers, nowadays he has his own business "Ray Ackroyd's Bird Watching Tours". He has also written many articles for the Australin Birdkeeper, checkout this page it may give you some idea where would be nice to visit.
http://www.southeast-parrots.co.uk/tours/tour-nsw/

http://www.southeast-parrots.co.uk/tours/tour-nt/
Danny

Where have you been on the Sunshine Coast - I can put you onto a few spots for Wompoo's, Topknots, Black breasted Button quail, and if you are heading south Alberts Lyrebirds and a swag of other beasties. If you are really bored you could drop in and say hello.

Danny
Aussie_Bengo

casehulsebosch wrote: ....So any tips or ideas on twitching spots and general birding welcome. ( the more the merrier as I do on average about four hours twitching a day)

Thanks, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
It might seem like a silly question, but what does Twitching mean?

Thanks
Craig52

It's taking pics of as many wild birds as possible,(a bucket list) or it's sitting in a hide for many hours and your legs,arms,face start twitching,oops my face is twitching now telling you this :lol: :lol: :D :shock:
Aussie_Bengo

Ah, Thanks.

I've seen a really great Australian Film/Doco about a Bird Watching competition called "Chasing Birds".
I found it very entertaining. Has anyone seen it (or was in it)?

Regards
Last edited by Aussie_Bengo on 09 Feb 2013, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Jayburd
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Aussie_Bengo wrote:
casehulsebosch wrote: ....So any tips or ideas on twitching spots and general birding welcome. ( the more the merrier as I do on average about four hours twitching a day)

Thanks, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
It might seem like a silly question, but what does Twitching mean?

Thanks
Twithcing is just seeing as many birds as possible - and real twitchers travel from Melbourne to broome at the drop of a hat to find something unusual that got blown in by a storm ;)
Julian

Birdwatcher and finch-keeper.

Feel free to check out my photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/lewinsrail/
And my birding antics here: http://worthtwointhebushbirding.blogspot.com.au/
iaos

crocnshas wrote:It's taking pics of as many wild birds as possible,(a bucket list) or it's sitting in a hide for many hours and your legs,arms,face start twitching,oops my face is twitching now telling you this :lol: :lol: :D :shock:
Plenty of twitchers don't take photos.

From wiki: " Twitching is a British term used to mean "the pursuit of a previously-located rare bird." In North America it is more often called "chasing", though the British usage is starting to catch on there, especially among younger birders. The term twitcher, sometimes misapplied as a synonym for birder, is reserved for those who travel long distances to see a rare bird that would then be ticked, or counted on a list. [2][5]

The term originated in the 1950s, when it was used for the nervous behaviour of Howard Medhurst, a British birdwatcher. Prior terms for those who chased rarities were pot-hunter, tally-hunter, or tick-hunter. The main goal of twitching is often to accumulate species on one's lists. Some birders engage in competition to accumulate the longest species list. The act of the pursuit itself is referred to as a twitch or a chase. A rare bird that stays put long enough for people to see it is twitchable or chaseable."
TomDeGraaff

I have always thought that twitching was simply seeing as many birds as you can and ticking them off a list. The ticking action being seen by the observer of the birdo as being a twitch.
So twitchers are constantly ticking off spe ies and to others it looks like a nervous twitch!!

Well, i have learnt somehing new again :)
)

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”