Twitching Queensland and NT.

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
casehulsebosch

With less than 2 months to go I thought it was about time I started asking for some ideas on places to visit in Queensland.

Having spent most of my 6 months travel last year inland, I am picking we will hug the coastline a bit more this trip. We are currently parked up on the Sunshine Coast and will spend the first two weeks around Brisbane. From there we intend to slowly head North and do Cape York. We have allowed a good two months to do this.

From the Cape we want to drop back down to Townsville and go across to NT. We have two months in Virginia NT - just South of Palmerston/Darwin.
We spent a good 3 weeks in that same area last year and have some ideas on birding in the region but any further ideas are welcome.

After that off to Wyndham for the Gouldian Count, which by the way starts on Sunday, 1 September.

When the count is finished we will slowly make our way to Margs WA to catch up with the kids and grandies.

So any tips or ideas on twitching spots and general birding welcome. ( the more the merrier as I do on average about four hours twitching a day)

Thanks, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
iaos

I hear Lawn Hill Gorge is a pretty special place and the place to see the Carpentrian Grasswren.
Netsurfer

How about west to Karratha then to Barrow Island, with a little luck you may see one of the least-known species of Wrens, the Barrow Island "Black and White Wren" (Malurus leucopterus eduardii).
GregH

Here is a link to the Australian Geographic's list of Australia's Top 10 Birding Spots.
petermcf

I believe Kununurra is known as the Finch Capital of Australia. It's on your way to Wyndham :thumbup:
casehulsebosch

Thanks for the feedback and recommendations thus far. Keep them coming.

Kununurra is indeed the finch capital of Oz. I have spent a good three weeks in that area in the last two years; not counting the Gouldian Count in Wyndham.
and it is on the way to Wyndham this time :) I am normally based in Margaret River WA.

Cheers, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
iaos

Greg's link jogged my memory.

Kingfisher lodge at Julatten is a magical place. Buff breasted paradise kingfisher at the right time of year and red necked crake.

Also Mt Lewis for the blue faced parrot finch.

http://www.birdingtropicalaustralia.com ... fault.aspx

http://www.nprsr.qld.gov.au/parks/mount ... about.html

Cheers Ian
mattymeischke

Hi Case,
Are you familiar with the birding aus list?
They have a searchable archive at http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/, which is great for searching locations or species of interest. The list itself is good for current sightings of sporadic or irruptive species, and they are very helpful with enquiries from strangers.
Eremaea also provides current sightings from all over Australia.
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
desertbirds

Douglas Daly Tourist P ark, cabins and set up for the caravan grey nomad brigade. Bit rough but some awesome birding to be had and a heap of different habits within a few ks of the park. Check road conditions before heading out there. Possibly try Territory Wildlife Park for a day and some info from a guide or keeper as they have some long term locals working there. :thumbup:
casehulsebosch

Thanks for the further feedback.

Yes, I am familiar with birding Australia and recent sightings. often refer to this site.

Douglas Daily and Territory Wildlife Park are also known to me as we spent some months in the NT last year.
I was hoping for some local knowledge and "secret" far away places.

Scenes like the attached photo I want to avoid. Like Joan Armatrading says in her song: I like my own company best.

Cheers, Case, Tauranga, New Zealand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”