Rare finch species breeder register

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Finchy

Sam and colleagues, I'm wondering whether there is any kind of organisation system in place in NSW or Australia for helping breeders of rare species to know about and communicate with each other? A few lovely species have gone the way of the Dodo that perhaps did not need to, had we had a system for connecting breeders. They could have exchanged stock to keep gene pools healthy and increase numbers.

If there is such a system, please tell me about it. If there isn't, I wonder if AFF and/or FSA could set something up? Some kind of published opt-in list of breeders with rare species in their aviaries, looking to exchange stock. Kind of a match-making system!

What's triggered this for me is the weird market absence of female BCCBs - even though someone, somewhere, is clearly breeding BCCBs and occasionally supplying male birds to retail stores. I've asked everyone I can think of - many old birdos. No-one seems to know who breeds them, and many have never even seen a hen. So where are the boys coming from? How can I find out who to join forces with to breed these birds?

Special interest groups - something online that's very simple - might help to keep breeders networked and informed.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There is an annual count that is conducted. Appart from the results which show what types are increasing/declining. I can't tell you much about what the information achieves. And as it is volantary some of the rarer type breeders may not be participating. Your best bet is to do what you have, advertise on here and talk to the people you know. And hardest of all be patient but dont give up. Eventually the right person will have a bird and respond to you. Good luck.
LML
LML
elferoz777

I agree with Sam.

This site helped me track my oriental greenfinches and even some lineolated parrots.

Breeders of rare birds dont like to broadcast much as theft is often an unwanted side effect.

I have found in the case of the linnies for an example, that it is a close knit group of breeders that wheel and deal between each other. Its hard to crap these circles but worth it when you do.
Breeding Project 2020-2025.
agate mosaic canaries, agate yellow mosaic canaries, red zebs, self bengos and goldfinch mules.
nswchainsaw

What's a BCCBs
wagga

bccb?? blue capped cordon blue
Life in Port Macquarie is the ultimate Aussie sea change lifestyle.
Tiaris

Mostly breeders of rare species do interact with each other very well. The main challenge is to prevent species becoming rare. By the time a species becomes rare, all the communication, interaction & exchange in the world doesn't over-ride the main causes of the species declining.
Craig52

The reason there is a lot of BC cocks around is,1 more cocks are bred than females and 2, hen birds are very soft and die easily from egg binding in cooler area's 3, the only way to breed BC's is with the use of termites of which very few breeders these days have or want to feed them. So if you buy a pair it will always be the cock bird that survives and ends up in a bird sale or dealers. Craig

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”