which climbing vines for nest sites

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Harvey66

Hi Guys any recommendations for climbing vines in avaries, i have previously had maiden hair creeper which redbrows loved, any other recommendations regards Paul
Craig52

Harvey66 wrote:Hi Guys any recommendations for climbing vines in avaries, i have previously had maiden hair creeper which redbrows loved, any other recommendations regards Paul
Imo muehlenbeckia (maidenhair creeper) is probably the best of the creepers,easily contained and looks good being very dense. I know a person who used to push soft drink bottles into it to form the shape for nesting sites. Honeysuckle is ok but needs constant trimming of the runners. Craig
Harvey66

Thanks Craig Had a look at photos i had from 30 yrs ago,i had maidenhair and jasmine vine mixed together, had nests everywhere in it cheers Paul
Masterfincher

Hi, I have a Christmas vine in my aviary - goes crazy, loves a hard prune (I prune right back just before Spring, and prune off creepers regularly), I have nuns, St Helenas, Stars, and Cordons that nest in it with their own nest, and I have a few other hidden cane and wood nests in there that other types use.
Not sure where you can get the vine - mine was growing there when I bought the house - but I would recommend it.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I sometimes prune the mexically rose and weave some of that through the brush I have up. Maybe it would go well planted in avairy, if pruned regularly.
LML
LML

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”