Breeding fly larvae

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
mathews800

Hi,
Is there any members who have fabricated a breeding enclosure for fly and would like to share their design? or advise where I could purchase one.
E Orix

Pm Sent
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just type flybox in the seach up the top right hand corner of the screen and you will see a range of interesting designs.
LML
LML
mathews800

Thanks David, I will keep in mind your offer if i can locate anyone travelling down your way, thanks again
toothlessjaws

I'm currently trying to reboot my fly colony for the breeding season with some housefly pupae purchased form a commercial supplier through an aquarium. Unlike last year very few of my flies seem to have hatched and even fewer are surviving for more than a couple of days. Its so weird. the flybox has not been cleaned from last year, they are being fed brown sugar and have soaked cotton wool to drink from. They started dying off before i even put in the bran mix. Could it be a temperature thing, its not particularly warm here. however the flies are not clumping particularly close to the light or far from it.

The only thing i have changed form last time is they have moved to the garage instead of the room-off the garage. I'm wondering if just the fact that i have pyrethrum spray on the shelves in there is enough, or petrol fumes form the mower... is that crazy?

its been over a week since i put the fly pupae in the box and i have hardly any and a bunch of dead ones on the bottom!

anyone experienced anything like this?
Craig52

I think your supplier may have had the pupae chilled so that they don't hatch in the store, this can have devastating effects on the life of it with most dying in the case before hatching and others with just the effects of being so cold they just don't make it after hatching.
My fly cage is in the garage with all the chemicals you mention with no ill effects but i do keep the louver window slightly locked open for ventilation all year.
The only positive way to get your flies up and going is to get your pupae from a fellow breeder of which will be fresh and not chilled,they usually hatch in a few days and are sexually active a week later to place your medium in.
If you can keep your fly cage at 25 to 30 degs at this time of the year you shouldn't have any problem. Craig
toothlessjaws

thanks craig.
That was my suspicion also. Either too long in the fridge, or fridge too cold. They are getting me another batch.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”