Zebra finch toys?

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Pol

Hi can anyone tell me if they have ever had issues with tiny zebras entangling themselves in chains used to suspend toys, swings etc in their cages.
I plan to make several of my own items, but will have to re-evaluate my suspension method, even if there is only one known issue. I've waited so long to startup this hobby I don't want to take "any" unnecessary risks with the little darlings. :petrified:
branchez

Hi Pol,finches don't usually play with toys,may I suggest natural vegetation like small eucalypt cuttings.
Jack
roma9009

Toys usually more for parrots than finches.
matcho

Pol,

i was going to come early on your post but thought what I would say would offend. It is wonderful that you are coming into the finch thing, but you have to remember they are not like budgies, quarrions and all the other "pet" birds. These birds are not "pets". They like things natural because they do not do well alone. That is why toys were developed and used for more of the intelligent "'pet" birds (read parrots, budgies etc..) Finches are wonderful things and you can't go wrong to start a pair of zebs, they will breed in a shoe box and are truly really nice birds for a beginner. Just go for a wicker nest, plenty of nesting material, good quality seed, fresh water if the cage is small, If you decide to have a bigger area then brush and a few nest boxes will do the trick. Just be aware they do breed like mice so you have to think of what to do with the offspring. I hope you do well and please keep an eye on this forum because the information you will get is truly invaluable from people with much experience than me who have been doing this since they were kids and are willing to give their advice.

once again, good luck, little steps... natural is the way to go. In other words, no chains, no toys.

Ken.
Pol

Thanks for the advice everyone, and no offence taken. I do plan on keeping things as natural as possible, so anything I did make was going to be out of natural materials.
So it appears that I need only to give them a bit of natural vegetation for games of hide and seek for them to be happy. :soppy:
Cheers :D
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As one of those people who has been round Zebs since the 3rd word they said was "birdie" (right after mum mum and dad dad) Yes my parents are/were birdos too. Zebs love natural perching with a bit of greenery on to "play" with. Prune your back yard for perching. I find mulberry, Cape lilac, mellalucas, wattle and bottlebrush all very suitable. Give them the seeding weeds and watch them have great fun turning them into a mix of food and nesting materials. All in all enjoy.
LML
LML

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”