getting close now

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
craigp

waiting on some more wire should be finished the mesh next week .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nice big avairy. And nice and clear arround it so you can see any signs of mice or snakes.
LML
LML
Craig52

Coming on nicely Craig but it annoys me to see that size wire mesh right down to the ground as it gives small mice access to the aviary followed by small snakes predating on them and then your stock.Once mice are in they are very hard to erradicate and can turn your aviary into a night mare and your enthousiasim so do it right from the beginning.
Imo you need a 600 mm below and above the ground,flat metal skirt all around the aviary, that weld mesh will be absolutely useless dug into the ground. Cheers Craig
craigp

Craig52 wrote:Coming on nicely Craig but it annoys me to see that size wire mesh right down to the ground as it gives small mice access to the aviary followed by small snakes predating on them and then your stock.Once mice are in they are very hard to erradicate and can turn your aviary into a night mare and your enthousiasim so do it right from the beginning.
Imo you need a 600 mm below and above the ground,flat metal skirt all around the aviary, that weld mesh will be absolutely useless dug into the ground. Cheers Craig
the weld mesh is to stop foxes digging under the bottom ..
toothlessjaws

craigp wrote:the weld mesh is to stop foxes digging under the bottom .. its 12mm x 12mm so it should keep most vermon out
Hi Craig but 12mm isn't snake/mouseproof. Its the 6mm that you are after.
Craig52

True but foxes will rip straight through that mesh on the aviary before they need to dig. A 600 mm skirt above and below the ground will do the same thing as your mesh and will and take direct eye to eye contact away from predators especially if you are going to keep quail imo. Only trying to help. Cheers Craig
matcho

If you have foxes in your area and they are the main concern, I would have done a lot more homework and preparation. Thankfully my only concern is mice and rats with the occasional alley/feral cat. I am sorry but I agree with Craig 52. Would hate to see it all turn to s..t give the effort you have put in so far. I hope it all works out well and I have my fingers crossed for you.

Ken.
craigp

finchbreeder wrote:Nice big avairy. And nice and clear arround it so you can see any signs of mice or snakes.
LML
i will put my two chooks in there to kick it off and see what starts to unfold,i have a dog that's already keeping the fox's away.they will attract mice etc ,i will address all their attempts to get in,it will be an ongoing saga for a while be for i put birds in it ,but i will win ,!

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”