Worming and use of Moxidectin

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
eddierobinson

Thanks Gomer.
PM sent as requested.
Thanks for the advice and support
Eddie
gomer

eddierobinson wrote: 14 Apr 2017, 15:06 Thanks Gomer.
PM sent as requested.
Thanks for the advice and support
Eddie
have you sent it yet I have not got it ???
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
eddierobinson

MuzzaD wrote: 30 Jan 2017, 10:04 I would leave the follow up for 2weeks this gives time for the eggs to hatch but the worms are not mature enough to re-lay.
I drench ( worm) when I take the young from the aviary to the holding aviary and then yearly before breeding season but it varies with your situation and aviary set up. I have very few if any wild birds landing on the aviaries so contamination would generally come from within.
Also I follow the advice of Marcus Pollard on his Clifton Aviaries site. Excellent reading.
One difference. I catch the birds and put a drop of the Moxidectin on the back of the neck of small finches and 2 drops on larger finches. It ensures each bird gets their dose. I am not positive all birds drink when it is the water.
My fortnight follow up is Equimax and do put that it the drinkers as it seems more palatable.
So how much Moxi do you use per liter of drinking water?
vettepilot_6
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

5ml per litre
The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten
eddierobinson

vettepilot_6 wrote: 25 Apr 2017, 05:09 5ml per litre
Thanks Vettepilot, I appreciate it :wave:
Steevee

Being relatively new to finch breeding, I had similar questions on doseage of moxidectin.

After a bit of research, I found that doseage depends on the concentration of moxidectin that you are using. My local avian vet advised me that for finches, they need 10mg of moxidectin per litre of water. This was the same recommendation as I read online from another avian vet. My avian vet supplied me with Cydectin (moxidectin) at a strength of 1mg/ml, with instructions to add 10ml per litre of water (to get 10mg per litre). I also purchased some "moxidectin plus tape" from the forum (thanks Gomer) and it also has a concentration of 1mg/ml of moxidectin.

I know that there are other products on the market that have 2mg/ml moxidectin and they say to use 5ml per litre of drinking water (which will give you the same 10mg per litre as above).

So in summary, check whether what you are using has 1mg/ml or 2mg/ml of moxidectin to work out whether you need to use 5ml or 10ml per litre of drinking water.
gomer

Thanks for your input Steevee. Virbac are the importers of moxidectin (manufactured by bayer) into Australia, here is a bit more info for you incase you dont have it.
https://www.virbac.com.au/home/livestoc ... ctrum.html
http://www.moxidectinfacts.com/questions.cfm
viewtopic.php?f=200&t=20173

There is ether a 2g/L oral or 1g/L oral of moxidectin or 1g/L of moxidectin and Praziquantel18.8mg/mL plus
We have previously stocked both and users have had options of doing what they want with either including mixing both.
Did you tell your vet about the Praziquantel 18.8mg/mL in moxidectin plus. I would have some concerns about doubling that component.Moxidectin has a high tolerance for error I doubt Praziquantel will be so forgiving.

We as a group buy it as a sheep drench see link above.

If anyone has concerns please purchase from Australian pigeon company or Melbourne bird vet. We only wish to cover costs for the forum.And buy as a small group discount for members. :thumbup:
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
Tiaris

Notwithstanding the dilution issue, I very much doubt you will find better value than the AFF moxy+ supply. The only way to better it for value would be to buy a 5 litre bottle of it yourself which no finch breeder could possibly use prior to expiry date.
Steevee

Thanks Gomer,
I share your concerns about doubling the Praziquantel dose. For my first worming I used the straight moxidectin from the vet at 10ml per litre of water. The next time that I worm I intend to use 5ml of straight moxidectin mixed with 5ml of "moxi plus" to get the the 10ml of moxi without doubling the praziquantel (like you mentioned that others have done before).
Craig52

To be honest, i can't understand your reasoning to use 10ml of moxidectin when all the breeders i know use 6ml to the litre. It has been proven to work and very safe at 6ml/ ltr.
Personally, i mix Baycox 3ml and moxi+ 6ml in a litre of water and medicate at the same time every six months or baycox separately if needed at different times.
If you buy your moxi and Baycox here on AFF you will know it is safe to use by the instructions given and you are helping with the costs of the forum and we are very competitive price wise. Craig

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”