Specific pedantry

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Tintola

natamambo wrote:While you're in a correcting mood, the banner shouldn't have an apostrophe in photos but it should have one after members.

Apostrophes in the wrong place can change the meaning dramatically. Commas too.
Something for natamambo to ponder.
Photo is in itself a contraction of photograph, so should photos have an apostrophe and be photo's indicating that letters have been left out?
Something for the A.R.Club to debate over.
Thanks Greg, watch us all come out of the woodwork.
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:shock: Oh palease ...

Are they gonna ( yeah gonna ) care when your dead and buried if you were Grammatically Incorrect on Aussie Finch Forum ?

Sorry folks but with all the tragedies in the world , yeah blah blah you know what I'm getting at .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Deb, thank you for bringing a little bit of insanity back to our forum :lol:
As for the rest of you lot, quit with the pommy language lesson's and start putting up posts about your birds :rain:
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Myzomela

OK Mick,
... but there's no apostrophe in lessons.....

Only kidding... but I couldn't help myself!

Now if only I could straighten out my little pinkie- I can't quite finish my cup of Earl Grey tea !!!

Birdtalk it is- promise!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
west finch

My excuse is I’m Irish 5 generations ago.
:lol:
Work smarter not harder !
toothlessjaws

no way! i totally disagree.

whilst i accept that we all use word like "gonna" and slang on occasions (i for one tend to always type in lower case!) - some of the lessons given by Tintola are integral to being able to understand written english. i often find it painfully difficult to decipher other members posts especially when they are too lazy to differentiate between "there", "they're" and "their". these words have radically different meaning, and whilst phonetically they sound the same i don't read (and thus process) them as having the same meaning.

it may just be a forum about finches, but written word is the way we communicate here. sure we all make mistakes, myself included, but lets strive to make sure they are just mistakes and not habits. i find frequent poor spelling and grammar almost a little disrespectful.

off my high horse now.
GregH

Well didn't that ruffle a few feathers. I believe that it's a specious argument (pun intended) to say AFF must be restricted to birds talk because if AFF wants to be perceived as the premier expert site it needs to be able to communicate that in a professional manner. Spelling, grammer, syntax, tense all contribute to this. Individual posts by members might well contain a few errors but when the error becomes systematically accepted across many posts it appears that AFF is unilaterally changing the English language and that's certainly not what we're about. If on our avicultural site we can't demonstrate that we know what a species is or that we can distinguish the terms lories (contraction of lorikeets) and loris (a primate) how can those seeking information believe whatever else they read here?
west finch

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE TROUBLE SPELLING**** !!!!TRY THIS!!!!AOCDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTEETR BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY… LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE. IF YOU CAN RAED TIHS, PSOT IT TO YUOR WLAL. OLNY 55% OF PLEPOE CAN. :crazy: A friend posted this on Facebook I think it proves a point. :lol: :thumbup:
Work smarter not harder !
avishoot

west finch wrote:FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE TROUBLE SPELLING**** !!!!TRY THIS!!!!AOCDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTEETR BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY… LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD AS A WLOHE. IF YOU CAN RAED TIHS, PSOT IT TO YUOR WLAL. OLNY 55% OF PLEPOE CAN. :crazy: A friend posted this on Facebook I think it proves a point. :lol: :thumbup:
i suspect this is what they are teaching in schools these days!!!
I realized that If I had to choose, I would rather have birds than airplanes.
Charles Lindbergh
Danny

I occasionally frequent a reptile forum where they automatically delete post with sms speak, slang or multiple spelling mistakes. We now have a forum of obnoxious know-it-alls but it's very well spoken and the topics are always answered very well by the three people left. It seems that poor spellers exceed the elite by a factor of at least 10. If you ever want to feel good about your grammar, frequent a reptile forum that doesn't delete bad spelling. WOW, It makes you weep for humanity.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”