Specific pedantry

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Myzomela

Whilst I agree that writing things correctly is very important- they call me the grammar & spelling Nazi at work- I think it is important that we don't discourage all people from expressing their points of view.

The strength of such a forum lies in the number of its participants and their varying inputs.

The most basic question is just as important as the most in-depth and knowledgeable answer.

The way people unknowingly abuse the English language reflects more on our education system than it does on the AFF.

So although I sometimes wish people would take a little more care with how they write things, I still value their input.

After all, we have just been lamenting the number of experienced successful breeders who never put pen to paper and have taken their knowledge with them to the grave.
Research; evaluate;observe;act
Myzomela

PS: Love the quote Westfinch :D
gomer

You are right there about not wanting to discourage anyone from writing due to their poor spelling or grammer.As everyone has the potential to contribute in a positive way to aviculture regardless of their spelling ability.I am sure there is many errors in these few sentences even using spell check (American).But I am sure all can still understand it.
Keeper of Australian Grass Finches
COUNTRY CAPITAL

i think many of you are showing your age!!
Tintola you must be at least ..@*!!
But don't ever change because that is one of the main reasons i tune into you guys, the mix of backgrounds, educations and ages is entertaining on its own, let alone our common theme of the love of finches.
Most of us fall into the Pre spell-check and definitely pre sms speak category, so i can see how the young'ns sometimes fall through the proper grammer cracks and end up speakin like day doo.
i shake my head sometimes too at some of the responses on our forum, and not just from the gen Y's or younger.
But if we remain AFF members long enough we may pick up more than just finch husbandry tips, so bring on the life lessons .
p.s. i am also over the hill but am going down fighting, at least i can still remember school, just did'nt pay enough attention that's all. :D
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.
jusdeb
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I reckon we do a pretty good job at expressing ourselves .
We are Aussies dont forget , if a word can be shortened or turned into slang then it will be done .
Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.
David Brent
malibu_birdie

I am not sure which generation category I fall under but I am 25 and won't even use shortened 'sms' style wording in a text message. I don't believe age to be a significant factor in grammar and/or spelling etc. I have always been conscious of my spelling and such even at a very young age. I put it down to a love of reading and writing - getting in trouble at school for reading under the desk was common for me. Also in my industry (signwriting) spelling is obviously quite important. But I don't criticise others about their spelling (other than my husband because I find it amusing). Just thought I'd put my two cents in :)
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sorry birdie but your 2 cents worth isn't worth anything any more :lol:
unless you can make it up to 5 cents worth,I'm afraid some charlatan will come along and round you down to nothing :silent:
Damn govt & cost cutting measures
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Myzomela

Hi Malibu Birdie,

Don't get me started on signwriters who can't spell or punctuate properly.... drives me nuts... and that's their job!!

Glad to know that there's at least one out there that can do the job properly :thumbup:

Enough now!
GregH

OK Myzo I'm over my "hissy fit" and reading Danny's post am prepared to prudently pare my pompous pedantic ponderings prohibiting imperfect posts. Communication between members should be free and if anyone is shy of exposing themselves as less than perfect AFF will grind to a halt. I frequently cringe when I reread my own posts so I know I'm not without fault. That said I think that core forum approved information (all locked topics - profiles, newsletters, legal requirements and legislation) or services provide by AFF should reflect a high "professional" standad.
toothlessjaws

i totally agree greg.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”