Specific pedantry

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
Tintola

COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:i think many of you are showing your age!!
Tintola you must be at least ..@*!!

Thank you for the compliment! ;) If "showing my age'' means taking care with my communication skills so that other people don't have trouble deciphering what i am trying to convey to them, then I am very honoured to be the age that I am. Yes, I am well over @*!! at this point in time and hope to reach &%*# by the time dementia sets in. :crazy:
COUNTRY CAPITAL wrote:Most of us fall into the Pre spell-check and definitely pre sms speak category, so i can see how the young'ns sometimes fall through the proper grammer cracks and end up speakin like day doo.

If you think it is just an age or generation thing, why is it then, that some of our most articulate and thought provoking members on the forum (Jayburd, The Finchman101 and Nrg800, closely followed by Harvey11) are probably some of the youngest? :thumbup: It all comes down to personal care and pride in how you present yourself, for your own sake not others.

Eneyway enuf from me im gettin two tyred of usin spel cheque an i gotta go an ave me tea. :yawn:

Speaking of sign-writers, there is a situation where the word "and'' can be used five times in a row and be correct and make sense.

A sign-writer was asked to do a sign outside the 'Fish and Chip' shop. On seeing the new sign the owner stated that there was not enough space between Fish and and, and and, and Chips.

I have never been wrong in my life, except once, when I thought that I was wrong, but I was wrong. :?
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
iaos

GregH wrote:I frequently cringe when I reread my own posts
It doesn't matter how many times I reread my posts before I submit them, I always see an issue with them after posting.
Tintola wrote:that some of our most articulate and thought provoking members on the forum (Jayburd, The Finchman101 and Nrg800, closely followed by Harvey11)
Well said. :thumbup:
Nrg800

Thanks! It does annoy me when people speak like their... they're, deary me.... limited in... time to correct wording, it makes me feel as though I'm in yorkshire, the accents are so strong I haven't the faintest what people are talking about... Other than that the sound 'oo' takes the place of a normal o...
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
Mickp
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

if you think the yorkies are hard to understand, try talking to a proper scotsman. 10 times harder ( or is that just my out laws)
Mick.
Finch addict and rodent hater.
Diane

GregH wrote:I frequently cringe when I reread my own posts

iaos wrote: It doesn't matter how many times I reread my posts before I submit them, I always see an issue with them after posting.
I know what you mean, which is why so many of my posts are edited, and that is after I have supposedly checked them using the preview option! So maybe that quote by the Cambridge University is correct.
Ngr wrote: it makes me feel as though I'm in yorkshire,
Eh by gum lad, you know you can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can not tell him much!
I do know of two Yorkshiremen, both teaching Particle Physics to University students overseas. One is a relative :D
Diane
The difference between Genius and Stupidity is, Genius has it’s limits
natamambo

New forum banner looks good :thumbup: :lol:
Tintola

New banner does look good, BUT, (there is always a but) Sorry to be a pedantic pain the armpit, but the apostrophe in member's is in the wrong place, could you put it after the 's' denoting that there is more than one member. If it had been another Finch Forum that only has one member, it would read member's, but for our forum, with so many members it should read members'. Hope Greg is happy now! :lol:
OH LORD, SAVE ME FROM YOUR FOLLOWERS!Image
Buzzard-1

Sheeesh you mob are hard to keep happy :lol: :lolno:
Myzomela

Wow Tintola- a double header. Well done!!
Research; evaluate;observe;act
flap

Buzz you are sounding just like Deb now! I used to be very pedantic about spelling but am finding between the onset of text speak, limited time and dementia, I now pay much less attention to abbreviations, capitals etc although most of the time I still will try to get the correct spelling. I do agree that if we want anything (including the Forum) to appear professional, then at least the official parts need to be accurate.

To whoever made the quail/quails comment, thank you for clarifying that as I am one of the culprits. I did wonder whether it was a collective noun. So now I know. :)
flaP

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”