Ipod, Iphone bird app

Get help with forum issues or make a suggestion.
mattymeischke

I got the Michael Morcombe app a couple of months ago, but have been giving it a good work out this week for the first time.
I find it useful in some ways, especially the ability to hear the how the bird calls, but not quite useful enough to replace a familar paper field guide (I like Simpson and Day).
What prompted this post, however, is a moral dilemma that has arisen while using it.

In Holmes Jungle in Darwin the other day, I saw a rainbow pitta. Looked it up in the 'phone, and checked it's call. Immediately, about half a dozen other birds started calling back at the mysterious intruder.
I have since had several similar experiences, and it is clearly a great way to call in a desired species.
The dilemma is: is it stressful to wild birds to have mysterious male intruders appear, call loudly, then disappear?
I remember when I acquired some copies of (cassette) tapes of Australian Birds, I was told not to use them too much as it could disrupt/stress wild birds.

I'm sure it is less stressful than, say, wholesale clearing of bush or spotlighting roos, but I don't do those things.
It is certainly very useful.

Thoughts?
Avid amateur aviculturalist; I keep mostly australian and foreign finches.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
Nrg800

Oh, that's a big issue, I know people that don't use it at all, but there are birds that are nearly impossible to see without calling them in. Here's a recent post on the ethics of Call Playback
http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/04/the ... n-birding/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Latest Lifer: Black-headed Gull (HaLong Bay. #528)
Australia List: 324 (White-throated Nightjar)
Global Year List: 119 (Powerful Owl)
mattymeischke

Thank you for another wonderful answer NRG - you have been most helpful again.
The art is long, the life so short; the critical moment is fleeting and experience can be misleading, crisis is difficult....... (Hippocrates)
desertbirds

I think as long as the app is used responsibly then its ok. Some birds pay little attention to it (local honeyeaters and chats) others go crazy (thornbills and wrens) looking for the intruder.I think if you play it to locate the bird then leave it off its not doing any real harm. With a great breeding season out here over the last 18 months there is every chance that stray males will venture into anothers territory. I have also noticed out here that birds of different species will respond to the calls, for example if i play a splendid wren call i can attract Thornbills, Red Capped Robins, White wing Wrens and Varigated wrens. Im guessing some of the response is to see off the intruder but i think these birds also respond as they have a greater chance of hawking a feed where there is movement and activity. It has aslo been noted that Robins in particular will follow people through the bush. I dont think playing the call over and over is all that fair but i think merely locating birds is fine. I recently found Emu Wrens where they havent been seen for years and ive added a new species to my list almost every weekend lately.Locating some of these would be almost impossible without using the call and for the people who dont like it or use it then that is their choice, the only way not interfere with the birds in anyway would be to stay home.I think some interesting behaviour can be learned from using the app and for me its been a great way of getting my daughter involved.
mattymeischke

Well said, desertbirds. I have been reading around online and the consensus seems to be pretty much the same as what you say.
A tremendously useful tool, to be used thoughtfully.

I'm glad your daughter is getting into it: one of my four kids is a bit interested, and likes to sit in the big aviary and watch them go about their business.

Return to “Forum Issues, Feedback & Suggestions”