Thinking about finches!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Kowhai

Hello everybody!
I have never had finches before. I'm here to find out if there's a way I can build an aviary in my small backyard and keep them outdoors all year. I live in Melbourne.

In the past I've had budgies, mice, gerbils, and a dwarf hamster. I used to handmix all of their foods. Also had cats and dogs at my parent's.

At the moment I have 2 cats and a fish tank. I'm trying to give the animals in my care the best possible life. The back yard is escape proof for the cats and I'm sure they'll find finches entertaining yet they are too old and comfortable to try wicked things. And they are only allowed out when I'm home.

Let's see if finches are a realistic goal for me!
Cheers, Corinna
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you build your avairy/s with a solid base that goes 600/700 into the ground and the same above this will help keep the cats and rodents out.
Enjoy.
LML
LML
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Corinna.

Keeping finches outdoors in Melbourne, year round, should not be difficult if you carefully site and orientate your aviary. There is much information on this in these pages. Obviously, do not place it in a part of the yard that is a heat trap in summer, but it must have sunlight access on cold winter mornings. Deciduous trees help in maintaining the best climate control for fixed-position aviaries...also take note of finches' susceptibility to cold draughts. A careful choice of species can help, .... also be aware of the perils of overcrowding.

Regarding cats: Not too many members here will recommend keeping cats and finches in the same yard. Regardless of whether you have a docile resident cat (or two), visiting cats can be a real problem for finches, particularly at night …. research 'night fright' for the ugly details.
Our elderly cat has never posed a threat, or caused harm to my birds, but I may just be lucky
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Nat&Glenn

Hi Kowhai
Welcome to the Forum
If I can keep finches in Tasmania you can keep them in Melbourne
Just a little blind to keep the cold out in winter
All the best
Nat & Glenn
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Corinna & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
noah.till

make sure your aviary has a concrete base, for easy cleaning pest control and bird hygiene.
if you wish to have an earth floor for plant reasons, make sure to worm birds regular and rake out any waste on a regular basis
Downs Bird Breeders Association and Queensland Finch Society Member
2018 Australian Birdkeepers Magazine Young Birdkeeper
Javan Munia, Black Rumped Double bar and Aberdeen Breeding Project
Maurizio

Hi Corinna,
Welcome to the AFF.
Orientation of your aviary is vitally important...to keep all the bad weather out, and provide shelter from the harsh
Melbourne winters.
Another point to consider, would be to insulate the roof and walls of the sheltered section, to reduce excessive heat during summer, and condensation during those freezing Melbourne nights.

Good luck :wave:
Darkangel1977

Hi corina, I keep gouldians in melbourne so dont worry too much it is possible, just taking certain precautions are necesary, I'm happy to share my setup details with you if you ever needed, I keep mine in a suspended setup which has it's own benefits and pitfalls. Precautions of our cold southerlys, drafts and predators are key. Best of luck đź‘Ť
Blue Gouldian Breeder and Bird lover

Return to “Introduce Yourself”