Hello from Toowoomba

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Gamekeeper

Just saying g'day.

I'm very grateful for what I have read on this forum, and I look forward to seeing what more is revealed once I have my first approved post.

I have loved and kept birds since I was a boy (I'm now 48), and followed the usual kind of progression: budgies, zebras, king quail, Fischer's lovebirds, yellow-billed long-taileds, sulphur-crested cockatoo, double-barreds, cockatiels, canaries, goldfinches, green singers, gouldians, red-faced parrot finches, and eclectus parrots.

(I have also progressed through chickens, guinea fowl, peacocks, golden pheasants, and jumbo cotournix quail, but they didn't seem to belong in the above cage and aviary bird list!)

I have never had many at any one time and at present I just have a pair of eclectus parrots, a pair of red-headed parrot finches, a pair of black-headed nuns, plus a number of the budgie mutations I like to mix (recessive pied and yellow-face). (And there are the chickens, quail, and golden pheasant too.)

I am at the point where I think I pretty much know what I really like, and I am planning to build a series of large aviaries over the next few years that I hope will "see me out"! Apart from one aviary for eclectus parrots, the others will be for finches (I am always drawn back to them). I'd like to try some softbills too.

I still have a lot to learn and hope to refine my plans through the wisdom on here. For example, I am unsure about how much protection I'll need for the aviary for gouldians and parrotfinches in the Toowoomba climate (we rarely get down to zero, but it is breezy here at an elevation of over 2000 feet and the windchill can be biting). I am looking at making it 10m long, 4m wide and 3m high. I was wanting to do the part enclosed/part open type, but I am concerned it will be too drafty for them. Fully enclosing it would triple the cost (and be more of an engineering challenge), and so maybe I would be better off making it smaller if it means I can manage to enclose it more.

That's the kind of thing I am hoping to get out of this, by going through old posts and perhaps asking a few questions.

I don't know that I'll have much to offer, but if I can help anyone I will.

Thanks for reading.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum, from the other side of the country. In all locations, I think it is possible to build a semi open avairy. Though sometimes cafe blinds are helpful for the worst of the windy days. We get the Freo Doctor here and that really blows but my avairys are half open still. Good luck and enjoy.
LML
LML
Nat&Glenn

Hi Gamekeeper
Welcome to the forum
Nat and Glenn
Craig52

Hello and Welcome to the Forum Gamekeeper, you now have full access. Enjoy. Craig :wave:
starman

WELCOME to the AFF Gamekeeper...it sounds like you have a bit of work and heaps of fun ahead.
Enjoy the forum and good luck in your finchy endeavours.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Game keeper & Welcome to the Forum :wave:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”