Newest Newbie Problem with owls

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
The Maltese

Newbie here saying hello and asking for some advice ... I do not waste too much time but have a bit of a desperate situation.

Ok, so I have 8 owl finches which I believe are a good mix of males and females. Untill two days ago they showed no interest in nest building no matter what nesting material or nests I provided.

Yesterday I built a shelf with some wicker nests beneath it with tons of cover (faux plants) and finally today i noticed that they have ignored the wicker nests and built a nest on the shelf!!! :D

However. :purplex: I have also noticed that one of the owls is being heavily plucked at the back of her neck and had blood beneath her beak :?: Anyone has any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for your feedback
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The good news is you have found a nesting situation they like. I have also found that my breeding hens get scruffy round the neck, so that bit is not a problem. But blood round the beak? Could she be lacking something? Do they get plenty of fresh greens? Access to natural sunlight for a couple of hours each day?
Welcome to the forum.
LML
LML
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
matcho

First of all welcome to the forum Maltese. You will get heaps of info on here.

I haven't kept this particular finch for over 40 years but one thing I do know is that they are communal roosters and build a roosting nest. Perhaps this may be what is happening at the moment. In regards to the blood and feather issue I can't help but no doubt someone will advise accordingly.

Good luck

Ken.
Nat&Glenn

Hi and welcome to the forum
Good luck
Nat and Glenn
Tiaris

The plucking in these parts of the body on highly social species such as doublebars is nearly always caused by over-zealous mutual preening by its mate(s). If it becomes really severe, the affected bird may have to be separated until the feathers regrow, but it is purely a cosmetic issue.
Fishies_finches

I'm not sure if this is the same, but I remember I did once read that for diamond firetail finches, the partners will pick at their feathers to use the white feathers for nesting material as they desire white feathers.
So I would suggest putting in some white feathers, and maybe they are similar to diamond firetails, once you've supplied the feathers hopefully the pecking of feathers on the bird stops.
COUNTRY CAPITAL

that last tip seems a great idea....supply some white feathers for nest lining as mine really go for them. :thumbup:
also Lebanese cucumber....
good luck!
CC
Aussie finch tragic.rodent/snake terroriser.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”