Hello from NS!

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
cvamoca

Hi Folks, G'day.
New to Gouldians, but old to other birds, canaries, many different finches, chickens, geese, ducks...
Saying hi from Nova Scotia Canada--I have acquired 9 lovely Gouldians and am champing to learn a pile of new stuff, while I get genetics in chickens, Gouldians are going to be tricky.
Tiaris

G'day & welcome to the forum.
If you get poultry genetics, Gouldians should be just as easy to get your head around.
Which Gouldian genetics are you after more info on? Head colours of normal birds or different back & chest colours of the other mutations?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find all the info you are seeking here. Do you avairy or cage breed?
LML
LML
cvamoca

Chickens I understand, as they have a set amount of colours and patterns, and I have everything pretty much memorized.

Gouldians--well, I don't even want to open up my mouth because they are so complicated in my head--I've always wanted them, but never, ever thought I'd find any, so they are new and highly exciting to me. Mine are all white breasted except for one pair of blackhead, green backed, purple breasts. Not doing mutations, unless I already have them.

I have 4 red head/yellow back/white breasts. I don't want to deal with mutations-- I'd just like to put a red head back on a normal green backed/purple breasted bird instead of black. Or maybe I don't-- it appears the red heads are crankier! Is this actually true? And how do I know who are splits? I know nothing about these bird's backgrounds...

Thanks so much, I will try not to sound totally stupid...
starman

WELCOME to the AFF Cvamoca....enjoy the forum and your new Gouldians.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Tiaris

White-breasted and yellow-backed are both captive-bred colour mutations. The normal Gouldian has a green back and purple chest. The 3 head colours are all natural mutations/forms. Which one is the original head colour is the subject of considerable debate ( I believe it is black-headed).
If you understand the way that autosomal recessive genes and sex-linked genes work by relating it back to chook traits which are carried by these modes of inheritence, you should be ok.
Black headed is sex-linked recessive and yellow-headed is autosomal recessive. Red-headed has a dominant inheritence to yellow & black.
In my experience over more than 40 years of breeding Gouldians, red-headed Gouldians have exactly the same temperament as the other head colours, although one brief and well publicised study has concluded to the contrary.
I hope this helps.
Nat&Glenn

G'day Cvamoca
and welcome to the forum
Nat and Glenn :wave:
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Cvamoca & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
GouldianGuy

Welcome to the forum from Newfoundland
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, welcome to the forum.

It's a beautiful part of the world you're from. Just a shame the climate makes it nay impossible to house them outdoors all year round.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”