Hi.

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
mickenglish

I am a returnee, I had finches as a boy. Now 72, I have built a nice large aviary and am starting again. I realise that I knew very little as a 10 year old so I hope to learn from members of this forum.
Regards
Mick
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Mick...... from a fellow returnee of similar vintage.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Craig52

Hi Mick and Welcome to the Forum,you now have full access. Enjoy the Forum and your birds mate. Cheers Craig :wave:
Nat&Glenn

Hi Mick
Welcome to the Forum
Nat & Glenn
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Which finches have you decide to restart with?
LML
LML
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, welcome to the forum, and back to the hobby.
mickenglish

Thanks everybody for the friendly reception. It's great to have access to such a pooled knowledge resource as I was feeling no small amount of trepidation about my ability to properly care for the birds. I expect to have the aviary roof done about mid-January (delays with colorbond supplier) and will then move in the new tenants. A friend is coming from Katoomba to help me set up in early February and will bring a pair of Zebras to get me started. Meantime I have locally obtained some Gouldians which I will need to house temporarily. The vendor has generously offered to hold them for me but I feel guilty about leaving them with him for a month so I will be seeking advice about a suitable cage to use as a temporary home for them.. I'll find the appropriate forum and continue this particular discussion there.
Once again, thanks for the welcome.
Regards
Mick
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Mick & Welcome to the forum :wave:
mickenglish

Update.
In January, after fitting out the aviary, I started off with a pair of charcoal Zebras, a pair of red face Gouldians and a pair of black face Gouldians. In February I added a pair of red face Star finches and 2 pairs of painted firetails. In March I added a pair of Ruddys, a pair of orange breasteds, a pair of Cordon Bleus and a pair of cutthroats. The cutthroats were a problem and had to be removed. I added three King quails a few weeks ago.
Breeding has been reasonably encouraging. In March I had 3 red faced fledglings, one of which eventually succumbed to injuries inflicted by a kookaburra, in April I was presented with 6 black face fledglings, in May I discovered a Star fledgling and today I had 5 new red face hatchlings. The Zebras have laid 2 clutches but they have all failed to develope.
The others have at various times given me "birds and bees" demonstrations so I am assuming that they find the accommodation suitable and may proceed to lay eggs at some stage - they have all set up shop in nests, in fact the Ruddys have appropriated 2 woven nests for their use and occasionally holiday in a third.
That's all for now, thanks for the welcome, advice and encouragement, this forum has been great.
Regards to all
Mick
starman

Your flock has you off to a 'flying' start, Mick.....well done!
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”