Pied Red Faced Parrot Finches

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Finchnut

Hi all, just joined as I live in the south of Sydney and we don`t have many good bird shops like we once had.
I have breed birds all my life mainly finches, kick of with Budgies as many do but then got into finches.
Now trying to breed Red Faced Pied Parrot Finches any trips, I have four heavy pied I know I have two cocks they are in with normal Red Faced.
Craig52

Hi finchnut, Welcome to the Forum you now have full access. Enjoy. Craig :wave:
Tiaris

I'm getting some pied RFPFs this year too. I have some young birds on order from a couple of sources. I've bred them before but not for many years. They are a dominant mutation so pairing the pied birds to normals should produce pieds & normals. Outcrossing to normals is likely to reduce the proportion of pied markings in the outcrossed progeny compared to the pied parents but the best of them paired back to other heavier pieds should give well marked young. Outcrossing any mutation is vital for maintaining genetic strength & with a dominant mutation it is easy and quick.
I have spoken to a few breeders of good quality pieds recently & most contend that pairing the heaviest pied birds together results in a higher proportion of heavy pied progeny & regular improvement in the proportion of yellow from year to year.
Pied birds also increase the yellow area with each moult so be wary of buying fully coloured heavy pied birds from people you don't know or trust as they may be old birds.
Nat&Glenn

Hi Finchnut
Welcome to the forum
Good luck with your PRFPF's
Nat and Glenn
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. How many avairys do you have?
LML
LML
Finchnut

Thanks all for warm welcome and feed back, I have one large aviary 2mx2mx5and two breeding flights 1mx2mx2.5
Should I pick a cock bird and mate it to a normal that I know is a hen in there own flight to kick things off
Thanks.
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Finchnut .... and good luck with your RFPPFs.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Finchnut & Welcome to the forum :wave:
fraudster

welcome to the forum :)
my theory is that there are more than one pied gene involved - when crossing it to a normal, you will be reducing the amount of pied genes in the offspring - they will be less pied. but if you cross two heavy pied together, you may get heavy pied, or very light pied marking - it all depends on how much pied genes are in the sperm and egg. i guess what im trying to say is, maybe if you breed some pieds from these two pairings, maybe pair the two heavier pied offsprings together and you may have a better chance of having heavy pied offspring.
cheers!
Finchnut

Thanks for that, I got the birds about 12 months ago 4 heavy pied I know I have tw cock birds as they were singing away madly.the other two I am guessing are hens, a cock bird has built a nest but no signs yet.
Problem is I am not shore how old they are this could be my problem in breeding them.
Should I remove the normals leaving just the 4 pied together in the big aviary.
Thanks again.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”