G"day Everyone

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Susannah

Pleased to be here and Thank You for the add :thumbup:

We have recently bought 12 Zebra Finches, but sadly the following morning 5 were deceased. Now we have 5 males in one cage and a male and female in another - they all have the 'wild' type of colourings, except one male, (the one with the female)...here is his photo.

I wish to obtain other breeds of finches, but will hold off 'til I'm over these losses and have time to know all is well with this flock.

I love observing their many interactions with one another - they never seem to stop 'beeping' and being curious to what treat they have, so sweet.

There is a lot to learn about these little ones and am looking forward to reading the numerous posts and learning from experienced owners.

Thank You,
Susannah :)
As I grew up I was fervently desirous of becoming acquainted with Nature. John James Audubon
Craig52

Hi and Welcome to the Forum Susannah, you now have full access. Enjoy the Forum and your birds. Craig :wave:
shnapper20

hi , thats strange zebs are usually the hardiest. If the surviving birds look healthy it may have been stress. Another thing to note is birds have a high metabolism they cant go long without food. If the other birds show signs of sickness, fluffed up head underwing,soiled vent. you could try giving them some water lightly mixed with electrolytes ie gator aid etc . good luck
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum and sorry about your loss. The birdie in the pic is very heavily pied. What time of day did you get your new birds? And how soon after getting them did you release them into their new home? For at least the first week you will need to check their food every day to see how much they eat and how quickly. Then you will know how often and how much to feed them. Enjoy.
LML
LML
Susannah

Craig52 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 08:11 Hi and Welcome to the Forum Susannah, you now have full access. Enjoy the Forum and your birds. Craig :wave:

Thank you, Craig
:)
shnapper20 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 09:09 hi , thats strange zebs are usually the hardiest. If the surviving birds look healthy it may have been stress. Another thing to note is birds have a high metabolism they cant go long without food. If the other birds show signs of sickness, fluffed up head underwing,soiled vent. you could try giving them some water lightly mixed with electrolytes ie gator aid etc . good luck

That's what I thought...I have put it down to stress. When we went to get them, they were in two of the tiniest cages I've ever seen, (about 20cm x 20cm) - no water or feed...we took a large cage, covered it on the way home, 1/2 hr trip and feed and watered them immediately when home...we left them in this cage, to reduce stress and let them settle...there were no signs of illness. They came from an extremely large aviary and I feel the previous owner flapping around with a pet shop net, inflicted undue stress upon the poor birds...it's been a little over a week and the remainder are all well...thanks, I didn't know about the gator aid treatment.
finchbreeder wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 10:18 Welcome to the forum and sorry about your loss. The birdie in the pic is very heavily pied. What time of day did you get your new birds? And how soon after getting them did you release them into their new home? For at least the first week you will need to check their food every day to see how much they eat and how quickly. Then you will know how often and how much to feed them. Enjoy.
LML

Thank you, yes it was quite a shock to see them the following morning...we bought them in the afternoon and left them in the cage to settle-in after feeding and watering them - I didn't want to put anymore stress on them...I check on all our birds at least 3,4 x/day - I'm home all day...we also have Cockatiels, Budgies, Rosella, Quails, Indian Ringneck, Lovebird and Rosa Bourke...it was just so disappointing to have them pass like this...you live and learn - if, seeing birds kept in this condition again, I'll walk away. :(
As I grew up I was fervently desirous of becoming acquainted with Nature. John James Audubon
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Susannah & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Susannah ... and good luck with the surviving Zebs.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Nat&Glenn

Hi Susannah
Welcome to the forum
Hope all goes well with your surviving Zeb's
Nat and Glenn
branchez

Hi Susannah and welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Jack
Susannah

finches247 wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 12:31 Hi Susannah & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
Thank You, Henry.
starman wrote: 01 Feb 2018, 12:46 WELCOME to the AFF, Susannah ... and good luck with the surviving Zebs.

Thank You...have had no worries with our survivors.

Nat&Glenn wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 04:06 Hi Susannah
Welcome to the forum
Hope all goes well with your surviving Zeb's
Nat and Glenn
Thank You, both.
branchez wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 07:13 Hi Susannah and welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Jack

Thank You, Jack

Apologies for the lag in getting back on here...a lot happened concerning the health of family members, then my health suffered and had a small stint in hospital...so, am pleased to be back...have one new member to our finch family - a little female, (?) Gouldian...'Lady' is a delight - she is only now getting some adult plumage...also, she only has one leg, due to a 'mishap' at her breeder's before we had her. She doesn't let that stand in her way, except her flying ability isn't as good as an able-bodied finch...so, she is in a smaller cage but gets to hang out beside our Zebras...we are contemplating getting a friend for her - is this advisable, would another pick on her, due to her disability? She does seem to be Ok alone in her cage...thanks for any advice.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”