New member from Sydney

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
austfox

Hi all!

I'm a new member from south-west Sydney. I joined a while ago, but the confirmation email went to the Spam folder, which I only just noticed.

I've purchased an avairy (large cage) today which should be delivered in a week or so. My desire is to have a few finches. The measurements are 1500mm (W) x 1800mm (H) x 800mm (D). Small I know, but the best I could manage in my small backyard.

From what I have read online, 6 to 8 finches would be ok, but from what I read on here, it would probably be best with 4. I thought I would start out with the easy Zebras, but I have read that 2 pairs are not ideal, and it is better to have 3 pairs. So now I am thinking to start with all males to stay with the ideal of 4, and I'm not really fussed that they won't be breeding.

I thought at least one of the standard colour Zebras, as well as a white. Are there any other Zebra varieties that would create some variety, or any other finch types that would be suited in an all male cage? I like Gouldian, but I don't think they work well with Zebras, and I'm worried of the cooler temps in Sydney during winter.

Steven.
Craig52

Hello and Welcome to the Forum austfox. Enjoy. Craig :wave:
Rod_L

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

zebra finches are peaceful and will breed in colonies. You could have 5 or 6 prs plus a pr of canaries and a pr of king quail young in that aviary.

If you want other species then let us know what you want and we can advise further.

If you have the aviary along a fence and there are plants nearby, you could extend the aviary along the fence to encompass the plants and as long as the plants are not poisonous the birds would love them.
death to all cats & ants
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Steven & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zebs are more space tolerant than a lot of other finches. So you could have your 3 pairs. But you would soon find that you had more. :thumbup: If the avairy does not have a safety door, suggest hanging a plastic cafe curtain for your peace of mind. Have a look at this link for different colours. Enjoy.
http://zebracrazy.byethost13.com/AllMut.htm?i=1
LML
LML
austfox

Thanks for all the welcomes!
finchbreeder wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 20:53 Zebs are more space tolerant than a lot of other finches. So you could have your 3 pairs
Ok, looks like I'll start with 3 pairs of Zebras.
finchbreeder wrote: 25 Mar 2018, 20:53 If the avairy does not have a safety door, suggest hanging a plastic cafe curtain for your peace of mind.
It doesn't have a safety door, so I had already thought of temporary netting draped over the top of the cage and door when cleaning etc. We did have those plastic strips on our avairy when I was growing up, but I recall we still lost a few over the years.
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Steven.... enjoy the forum and your finches.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Nat&Glenn

Hi Steven
Welcome to the forum
Nat and Glenn
Maurizio

Hello Austfox,
welcome to the forum.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”