Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Daviese

Hi.
Hope I am doing this properly. It took me a while to figure out how to post. Anyway thanks for letting me join. I am very new to finches and have a lot to learn. I have really enjoyed what I have read so far in this forum and am eager to read more about people's experiences etc. My husband wanted an aviary and built a lovely one. I have to say I was a little "non fussed" at first... but since owning some finches, I am surprised at how much I enjoy them and how much I want to learn about them. Consequently, I have taken over the aviary and already undertaken one extension with plans for further extension in the future. The aviary (which was supposed to house a few zebras) now has a small mixed population with plans to continue. So thank you for your time and I look forward to getting know you a little more through posts and advice.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, welcome to the forum. What kind of finches make up your mixed population?
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. Did the extension amount to a 2nd avairy or making the 1st one bigger? From another lady finch nut.
LML
LML
Nat&Glenn

Hi Daviese
Welcome to the forum
All the best with your aviary
Nat and Glenn
Daviese

Hello again.
Thanks for your questions. My mixed aviary has 1 pair zebras plus 3 fledged babies, 3 pail gouldian- black, red and orange head normals, 1 pair painted fire tails, 1 pair ruddies, 1 pair orange breast, 1 pair red faced stars, 4 canaries (still a bit confused about their sex and I think they are too. I am going to post about that later) 1 pair button quail (although no nesting yet) and 3 female Japanese quail. The extension I did was extending the original aviary to include the garden shed as I got worried when the temperatures in winter started to plummet. So I did some major begging and grovelling and finally convinced my husband to sacrifice his garden shed. I know... that's true love right there. I am really glad I did as we lost no one over winter and I am pretty sure we would have if left the same. Anyway.... that's me and my birds.
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Daviese …. enjoy the forum and your birds.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's a pretty good hubby you have there. If you have not already done the maths, it sounds like you need about 11 or 12 assorted nests or nesting sites. Some prefer bush to nest in, some prefer boxs and some prefer tins. Enjoy.
LML
LML
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi & Welcome to the forum :wave:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”