Hi

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Symphony

Hi :wave:

New to the forum. Today I bought my first outdoor aviary. I have a pair of gouldians and I plan on adding them and some others once it's set up. Hoping to pick up some tips and tricks from the forum.
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi, welcome to the forum!
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum. How big is the avairy?
LML
LML
Rod_L

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

If you have some soft leaved bushy plants in the aviary (at each end), it will provide the birds with something to fly into if they are spooked or scared by something at night. Cats are the biggest issue at night and can startle the birds and they panic fly into the wire. The bushy plants give them something to land on rather than plowing head first into the wire, which usually kills them.

Have the front of the aviary facing north so they get more sun in cooler weather, probably not an issue in Qld.

Make sure the back and sides are facing areas where the coldest and strongest winds come from. Birds don't do well in cold, wet or windy conditions and if you combine these factors they can die very quickly. So preventing strong winds and cold winds from getting into the aviary helps the birds a lot.

Birds need green feed and you can grow your own green grass seeds. The following link has some info about growing your own green grass seeds.
https://www.aussiefinchforum.net/viewto ... 05#p188305

Make sure the birds have mineral grit, cuttle bone and a good seed mix all the time, and fresh water and fresh green feed each day.

Kill any ants near the aviary because they will eat the birds when the birds go to nest. And watch out for small snakes that can get through the wire.
death to all cats & ants
Nat&Glenn

Hi Symphony
Welcome to the forum
All the best with your Gouldians
Nat and Glenn
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I am in a hotter area, as you are. I have found that putting my avairies under a big deciduous tree is a good idea. Baring that a shade sail or 2. And while you do not want cold winter winds, cool summer breezes are a blessing. If I was doing it all again I would face my avairies north east, for best morning sun in winter. Enjoy.
LML
LML
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Symphony.
There is an abundance of info on Gouldians here … enjoy the forum and your finches.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Symphony

Thanks for the welcomes!

The aviary is 5x6ft and I can stand in it (I'm 175cm). Its still at my neighbours (he makes them) but I have a spot picked out. It is facing north and in a corner of the side of the house. I've been watching the sun and it will get mid morning, noon and afternoon sun. I have a shade sail I'm planning on putting up to block the harsh midday sun. I am a little worried about the summer heat. It has a corrugated steel roof that I think I will need to shade.

I've got a gouldian pair in a 90 x 90 x 45 cage in my covered patio. I've had them since the start of the year and they seem to be doing well. They get seed, grasses and fresh greens. Cats shouldn't be an issue. I've got two dogs that keep them out of the yard. Butcher birds are a problem though. They are very brazen and come into the enclosed patio to try to get at the birds. I also have elderly cockatiels (10, 10 & 15), king quails, budgies and a handraised peachface.

I'm still reading and researching but I think I have most things under control :thumbup:
starman

Hi Symphony,
You might consider lining the top half (at least the perching areas) of your aviary. Metal structures will radiate a lot of heat in summer, making for uncomfortable conditions for the birds. I have used Braceboard lining in my metal enclosures... it is waterproof, cheap(ish) , easily worked and reduces the inside temperatures significantly. If it is painted it looks nice and is easily cleaned. Any ply, MDF or chipboard will suffice if painted. It is also beneficial for winter.
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Symphony

starman wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 17:17 Hi Symphony,
You might consider lining the top half (at least the perching areas) of your aviary. Metal structures will radiate a lot of heat in summer, making for uncomfortable conditions for the birds. I have used Braceboard lining in my metal enclosures... it is waterproof, cheap(ish) , easily worked and reduces the inside temperatures significantly. If it is painted it looks nice and is easily cleaned. Any ply, MDF or chipboard will suffice if painted. It is also beneficial for winter.
Thanks Starman. I have an abundance of styrofoam sitting around. Me and the other half use to breed fish and lined the walls with it. We've cut down on the tanks so have extra supplies sitting around. I was thinking of using some of that to line the ceiling and part of the walls. I would then have to cover it in something like 3mm melamine sheets or thin ply. Its light enough that I can just glue it into place and not have to stuff about with screws. I also found my shade sail this avro and its still in good nick.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”