newby

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
ozpompey

Hi all... i have just taken over my father in laws aviary, as he is no longer well enough to maintain it. he only had budgies in there. i have re homed them all, apart from 3 pairs. i used to breed finches and doves many years ago, so i am a bit out of knowledge at the moment. so everything i can read on here will do my good. so first i have to decide whether to keep the budgies and if possible mix a compatible finch in the aviary, or to move the 3 pairs of budgies on.. the aviary is circa 4 metres by 1.5 metres...
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Keeping budgies with any sort of finch is a recipe for disaster—they're quite aggressive, especially when breeding. If you absolutely must have parrots in the same aviary, stick to the neophema family.
Craig52

Hi and Welcome to the Forum ozpompey, enjoy the Forum and your birds. The only finches that can handle being with budgies are Java Sparrows. Craig :wave:
ozpompey

thanks for the welcome and the advice guys.... i was already leaning towards java sparrows...
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Javas are great birds. But would still need a bushy corner to get away from the budgies. Maybe you could partition the avairy into 2? Welcome to the forum.
LML
LML
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi & Welcome to the Forum :wave:
deegs

Welcome to the forum. Knowing us bird people, it will not be long before you'll want to get another aviary. When you do, seperate the budgies from the finches. Good luck with them. Deegs.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”