Hello everyone

Pop in and say G'day!
Once you have 1 approved post a lot more forum will become visible.
Novice

Hi everyone - I have no idea on what I am doing with this computer stuff so please bear with me. This is my first contact so I have my fingers crossed. I currently look after my mother and sister who are both unwell so I have little time to myself. That is why I originally thought I would play with zebra finches in the backyard. I now have my own "happy Place" where I can de- stress. That was about 18 months ago and now I am addicted !!!!
In that time I have played with lots of colours and have eventually decided to breed Isabels and Reds hoping finally to develop Phaeo"s and ultimately locate some Black cheek . I have read an awful lot of the posts on this site and have found it invaluable as I feel isolated and cannot find anyone local who understands the genetic side fully. Sincerely Karen
Shane Gowland
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Karen, welcome to the forum. There are a number of folks on this forum who are really knowledgeable about zebra finch genetics, so I'm sure they'll be able to help with any questions you may have.
finches247
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hi Karen & Welcome to the forum :wave:
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Welcome to the forum and the addiction. Zebs are great finches. You can enjoy the genetics and success with a little less effort that some of the others require. And like me you can keep them for many years. Reds are a particular interest of mine too.
LML
LML
Nat&Glenn

Hi Karen
Welcome to the forum
All the best with your Zeb's
Nat and Glenn
starman

WELCOME to the AFF, Karen ….. enjoy the forum and you Zebs...
Sm.
Avid student of Estrildids in aviculture.
Novice

Thankyou everyone for making me feel welcome. Sorry for the long delay but I have had a hell of a time getting to log in. I just have to find my profile now and change it to something simpler for me ( I am definitely technically challenged Challenged )hahaha.
I have been in contact with Jenny and Geoff at Gympie by ph and they put me in touch with John Mcmahon at Nerang who kindly let me visit and god ........ did I learn heaps !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks so much John. Now I am on a mission to pretty much start again with larger females to breed to my nicely marked smaller males and then go from there. Heaps of questions but need to work out where I ask them? Thankyou all again for saying good'ay to me. p.s. Breeding isabels and reds
Novice

finchbreeder wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 19:07 Welcome to the forum and the addiction. Zebs are great finches. You can enjoy the genetics and success with a little less effort that some of the others require. And like me you can keep them for many years. Reds are a particular interest of mine too.
LML
Hi Finchbreeder, Novice here. You said you breed reds too. I am getting some nice birds although they are much smaller than I would like. They were the best of the reds I could find here on the gold Coast at the time. All are fawn series and females have striped tails whereas the males I started with have black tails (from charcoals) but only red from breast bar up. The mix has given me a really nice couple of males with full red fronts or bodies (unsure of the correct term to use)and only display the plain black tail. I have worked out that crossing to an Isabel once can turn the tail to barred but I don't know how to get a solid red head. Could you offer any advice please. thankyou
finchbreeder
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What you get will depend on the genetics of what you have to work with. I am getting size because the reds i started with were big birds. But not getting red below the breast bar as I am aparently using the wrong crosses. You are ahead of me if you have full red fronts. And I still cant get the solid heads either. Always good to add a big normal into the mix every now and then.
LML
LML

Return to “Introduce Yourself”